The FGBML Metocean Modelling and Analysis team has a vacancy for a Senior Metocean Modeller to support the development of new products and strategic tools. The main remit will be to carry out atmospheric modelling and to develop a methodology to produce synthetic tropical cyclone databases.
The role will include conducting numerical simulations as part of the regular activities within the modelling team. It will also require the close liaison with wider metocean team, who use the model databases to generate metocean criteria.
Benefits for this role include a competitive salary accompanied by an attractive package including contributory pension scheme, life assurance, 24 days annual leave, private medical insurance and a subsidised restaurant.
Roles and responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities associated with this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- To develop atmospheric models;
- To generate hindcast databases;
- To develop statistical methods for use in the generation of synthetic storm databases;
- To ensure that all work is undertaken to the highest quality and professional standards in accordance with company procedures and project specific documentation;
- Other responsibilities may include the preparation of technical and commercial proposals, writing reports and project management.
- A Degree in meteorology or oceanography is essential; a PhD in a relevant discipline is desirable.
- Team worker
- Proven writing and oral communication skills
- Writing technical MATLAB and/or Python scripts;
- In-depth knowledge of Linux.
- Working with HPC systems.
- Set up and run atmospheric numerical models such as WRF;
- Interpretation of model results;
- Statistical methods.
- Experience with ocean circulation and or coastal models such as MITgcm, ROMS, DELFT3D or similar;
- Experience with wave models such as SWAN and WAVEWATCH III;
- Project management;
- Preparing tenders;
- Report writing.
Please apply by submitting a CV and covering letter, indicating your anticipated salary requirements to FGBML.firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference 3054. Closing date for applications is Tuesday 06 March 2018.
Fugro GB Marine Limited is an Equal Opportunities employer. All applications are judged on the relevant
skills and experience of the candidate only.