£26,715 - £30942
Closing Date: 28th May 2020
The role will be supporting an industry-funded research project researching the environmental impact of deep-sea mining on the ecosystem in the Clarion Clipperton Zone (CCZ) in the middle of the Pacific Ocean off of California. The project will involve a series of cruises on research vessels.
The individual will provide technical and logistical support for the Marine Benthic Ecology Biogeochemistry and In Situ Technology Group. The applicant would be going on two to three research cruises per year, working with marine seafloor landers which are deployed over the side of the ship to the seafloor about 5km down.
Summary of Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintaining and problem-solving the specialised scientific equipment for marine research.
- Mobilising and demobilising for research cruises, including testing, packing and shipping sensitive scientific equipment across the world.
- While on the research vessel, deploying, maintaining and recovering seafloor landers during open-ocean research cruises. These cruises will be an average of 4 to 7 weeks away from Edinburgh.
- Ordering and maintaining supplies and inventory of equipment and consumables.
- Assisting at times in the lab with experiments. Previous lab experience is not essential but would be desirable.
Education, Qualifications & Experience:
These are the criteria on which the short-listing and recruitment selection will be based.
- Educated to SCQF Level 7-8 (HNC/HND) (see link for details) or an Apprenticeship in a relevant subject plus ideally 3- 5 years' post-qualification work experience in a relevant role; or the equivalent comparable relevant work experience.
- Demonstrable practical experience of relevant technical/scientific work, demonstrating development through involvement in progressively more demanding work/roles
- Competent in the use of relevant IT packages
- Analytical and technical problem solving skills
- Proven technical experience in own scientific or technical specialism which will have been acquired over a number of years, with a basic understanding of the relevant theory
- Experience of relevant health and safety protocols
- Demonstrate self-motivation and desire to achieve the objectives agreed with managers working towards the strategic goals set by the School.
- Demonstrate willingness and ability to continuously learn and develop new skills in line with changing trends in the technology field.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills
- Demonstrable excellent customer service
- Demonstrable ability to work quickly, flexibly and accurately in a dynamic, changing and pressured environment
- Demonstrable professional and proactive approach
- Experience with international shipping and/or logistics
- Knowledge of Unisense and TUNA software packages
- Experience with electronic circuitry
This role does not meet the minimum requirements set by UKVI to enable sponsorship of migrant workers. Therefore we cannot progress applications from candidates who require sponsorship to work in the UK. For further information on this please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website: https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas
For application details and further information please go to: www.hw.ac.uk/apply-jobs