The UAE Research Center for Renewable Energy Mapping and Assessment at Masdar institute (recrema.masdar.ac.ae) along with
the Earth, Atmospheric & Planetary Sciences (https://eapsweb.mit.edu) at Massachusetts Institute of Technology are looking for a
postdoctoral researcher in the field of coastal ocean color research and applications in turbid atmosphere. We are seeking an
outstanding scientist to develop improved ocean color products from the current and future ocean color satellite sensors including
SeaWiFS, MODIS, VIIRS and MERIS. The successful candidate will be based at Masdar Institute, Abu Dhabi (UAE).
The individual in this position will work on satellite data from various ocean color satellite sensors and field measurements from
ocean and atmosphere to develop, validate, and evaluate algorithms for the remote retrieval of the ocean color and atmospheric
products. Strong programming skills are required and demonstrated ability to develop and improve algorithms for ocean color and
Masdar Institute of Science and Technology (www.masdar.ac.ae), a part of Khalifa University of Science and Technology, is the
world's first graduate-level university dedicated to providing real-world solutions to issues of sustainability. The Institute's goal is to
become a world-class research-driven graduate-level university, focusing on advanced energy and sustainable technologies. The
Institute, which was created in collaboration with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), integrates theory and practice to
incubate a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship, working to develop the critical thinkers and leaders of tomorrow. Masdar
Institute is situated in Masdar City (www.masdar.ae), an emerging global clean-technology cluster that aims to be one of the world's
most sustainable urban developments, powered by renewable energy and providing students and researchers with a unique
opportunity to live and learn in a true "living laboratory" environment.
- PhD in remote sensing, oceanography or a related discipline preferably with some postdoctoral experience.
- Experience in analyzing data from various satellite sensors, e.g., SeaWiFS, MERIS, MODIS, etc.
- Experience in advanced processing regional ocean color data using SeaDAS, ENVI-IDL, Matlab and/or other data processing software packages.
- Experience in evaluating and recalibrating ocean color algorithms using in situ measurements.
- Experience in evaluating aerosol retrievals and developing aerosol retrieval algorithm.
- Appropriate skills in batch processing large data sets and satellite database management.
- Hands-on experience in using ESRI software ArcGIS Desktop and ability to integrate imagery with other GIS data.
- Demonstrated ability to publish research findings in peer reviewed journals.
- Excellent communication skills in English scientific writing/publishing and presentation.
The compensation package for this position is very competitive with a tax-exempt net salary ranging between US$ 70k and US$ 90k.
Additional benefits include: annual two-way airfare to home country, one-time moving allowance, free comprehensive international
medical coverage, professional memberships, conference attendance expenses and other components.
The application package should include:
- A cover letter summarizing experience and motivation for this position.
- Curriculum Vitae including a list of publications.
- Sample of relevant published research papers.
- A list of 3 potential referees.
Applications should be submitted by email to Dr. Maryam Rashed Al Shehhi (email@example.com). Review of applications will begin
on June 30 2018 and continue until the position is filled. The expected starting date is September 1st, 2018.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for a follow-up interview.