Duty Station: Malmo, Sweden
Duration of contract: Two-year fixed-term appointment
1. Organizational setting
The World Maritime University (WMU) is established by the International Maritime Organization. WMU's mission is to be the world centre of excellence in postgraduate maritime and ocean education, professional training and research, while building global capacity and promoting sustainable development. With the University's new strategic directions, specifically expansion of its mandate to include ocean-related matters, and strengthening ocean research, WMU is well positioned for this collaborative partnership with the Nippon Foundation.
The WMU-Sasakawa Global Ocean Institute (Ocean Institute) has been established within the framework of the WMU. It is to be a world-leading center of excellence for ocean research, dialogue, capacity building and policy support in meeting ocean obligations, addressing existing and emerging challenges, and seizing the opportunities inherent in contemporary ocean governance and the 2015 sustainable development commitments.
2. Main purpose
The Associate Research Officer will work under the supervision and guidance of the Head, Research. He/she will contribute to ocean research, dialogue, capacity building and policy support in meeting ocean obligations, addressing existing and emerging challenges, and seizing the opportunities inherent in contemporary ocean governance and the 2015 sustainable development commitments. The Associate Research Officer will undertake research assigned by the Director or Head of Research.
3. Duties, responsibilities
The successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate capacity for high impact,
integrated research activity both within and across groups in academic and/or industry settings. The candidate must have a research profile as evidenced by publications in leading journals in the field, presentations at significant conferences on research findings and strong
endorsements by referees.
At WMU, the candidate should expect to:
- Undertake and contribute to research in the field of ocean governance and ocean policy;
- Assist in the development of the research agenda;
- Contribute to innovative statistical and mathematical models to better assess drivers and indicators relevant to the ocean research agenda;
- Carry out projects as a member of a research team;
- Teaching and mentoring in the MSc programme relating to Marine and OceanGovernance as well as capacity-building as may be required;
- Perform any other tasks relating to research, education or capacity building as may be required;
- Undertake special projects and other duties as may be assigned.
4. Minimum requirements - education, experience and language skills
- The successful candidate will have an advanced university degree in ocean governance or ocean policy, ocean science, international environmental law or related fields, statistics, economics.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in working in the higher education sector;
- A strong record of internationally recognised research and publication in fields of ocean governance and/or policy or ocean science;
- Ability to use established, appropriate research methodologies and statistical analysis techniques and perform analyses;
- Thorough knowledge of IMO, other UN institutions with ocean-related mandates, and international ocean organizations, their aims, objectives and activities.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Knowledge of another UN language would be an advantage.
Desirable Qualifications, Competencies and Professional Experience
- An understanding of WMU and its mission, and strong commitment to the delivery of the highest practicable standards in pursuing its mandate;
- Good Communication skills;
- Some working experience, especially at the international level;
- Computer literacy.
5. Terms and Conditions
This vacancy is open to male and female candidates. WMU seeks to increase the number of women at all levels and, therefore, qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply. WMU will make every effort to facilitate the employment of persons with disabilities.
The position offers an attractive salary (P2 Grade of the ICSC salary scale), free of income tax in Sweden, a benefits package and relocation expenses. Applicants must fill in the Personal history form and send a letter of interest, a complete CV, and the contact information of three referees to Marco Batista, Head of Human Resources (email@example.com).
Deadline for Applications: 30 September 2017.