Organizational Unit: Faculty, Maritime Safety and Environmental Administration
Specialization Duty Station: Malmö, Sweden
Duration of contract: Two-year fixed-term appointment
1. Organizational setting
The World Maritime University (WMU) is a postgraduate and research university established in 1983 by the International Maritime Organization, the maritime agency of the United Nations. WMU offers M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes, Postgraduate Diplomas, and Professional Development Courses (PDCs) with the highest standards in maritime and oceans education and training. WMU also has a highly respected research programme supported by specialized research groups across the maritime and ocean fields.
The Assistant Professor position is located in the Faculty unit at WMU's headquarters in Malmö, Sweden.
2. Main purpose
The position works under the supervision of the Vice President Academic, and functionally with the Head of the MSc. Specialization - Maritime Safety and Environmental Administration (MSEA). As a faculty member at the World Maritime University, the Assistant Professor is expected to provide teaching/mentoring and research and publication and promote inter- university cooperation in the marine technology field.
The Assistant Professor, MSEA, will focus on the areas of maritime safety and environmental administration with a specialization in maritime navigation or marine engineering with a strong knowledge of IMO Conventions and aims. The faculty member must be knowledgeable and supportive of the UN Sustainable Development Goals and their relationship to IMO and to the university's mandate and goals.
Work involves teaching regularly both introductory and specialty courses, mentoring PhD and M.Sc. students, serving on committees and panels, and providing service to WMU, IMO, and the maritime and oceans community.
Duties include engaging in maritime research projects and scholarship leading to the publication of peer-reviewed articles, review articles, and scholarly books, and assisting in the development and execution of research projects and presentation of scholarly results.
As a member of the faculty and professional staff at WMU, you will work to keep WMU positioned as an academic institution of excellence and help advance the institution, encourage inter-university research cooperation, and build its reputation in your field of expertise.
3. Working relationships
Internal contacts - Incumbent liaises and interacts with all faculty members on a regular basis as well as with support staff as required.
External contacts - Incumbent liaises with the global maritime, ocean and the marine and industry communities, research organizations, intergovernmental organizations, non- governmental organizations, as well as scientific journals and publishing entities.
4. Duties, responsibilities
The Assistant Professor is expected, under the supervision of the Vice-President (Academic) to be engaged in:
- teaching, including engagement in the MSc teaching programs in Malmö, and other locations as needed and assigned;
- coordinating and participating in student field studies;
- mentoring of PhD and MSc students and supervision of research theses/dissertations in the shipping management and finance field;
- scholarship in the form of publications in peer-reviewed journals, books, book chapters, etc.;
- the development of projects, submission of project proposals, and delivery of such projects;
- presentation of research findings at professional conferences and meetings;
- involvement in distance learning (e-learning) programmes, PDCs, and capacity-building courses as required;
- service on WMU committees and work groups, and active participation in administrative, academic, and curriculum duties.
5. Minimum requirements - education, experience and language skills
- PhD in maritime affairs with preferred experience in maritime navigation or marine engineering or related maritime safety and environmental management areas with preferred experience in higher education and training in the maritime sector.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in teaching at the postgraduate level, preferably within the areas of maritime safety and environmental administration, or a related field;
- Expertise intasks and duties of IMO member States as required by IMO conventions, knowledge of the IMO member State auditing scheme, experience with Key Performance Indicators for maritime administrations, interest in maritime risk management and accident investigation;
- A track record in maritime research and scholarly publication in maritime safety or environmental management field;
- Experience in leading in research project management in relation to maritime safety and environmental administration knowledge transfer and in capacity building programs for developing countries.
- Professional experience in the maritime sector preferably at a management level;
- Experience in planning and organizing field studies for students;
- Experience in organizing conferences and seminars and fund-raising.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Knowledge of another UN language would be an advantage.
6. Knowledge and skills
- Excellent communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a professional/academic team;
- Effective organizational skills to manage time and priorities in teaching and administrative duties as appropriate;
- Ability to act as point of contact for problems/enquiries from students in your areas of expertise;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes;
- Ability to deal with administrative matters as appropriate to status and with reference to other colleagues within WMU.
This vacancy is open to male and female candidates. WMU seeks to increase the number of women at all levels and, therefore, qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply. WMU will make every effort to facilitate the employment of persons with disabilities.
The position offers an attractive salary (P2 Grade of the ICSC salary scale), free of income tax in Sweden, a benefits package and relocation expenses. Applicants must fill in the application form, which can be found at http://wmu.se/vacancies. Should send a letter of interest, a complete CV, and the contact information of three referees to Marco Batista, Head of Human Resources (email@example.com).
Deadline for Applications: 15 December 2017