Hiring organization: Farah Experiences LLC
Web address: farahexperiences.com/careers
Location: Yas Island, Abu Dhabi. United Arab Emirates
The Yas SeaWorld Research and Rescue Center (YSWRRC) is located in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, and will be the first dedicated marine research, rescue, rehabilitation and return center in the UAE. Our Research and rescue programs will focus on marine wildlife and habitats of the Gulf. An important element of YSWRRC's work is to raise the profile for the excellent efforts in the UAE in the arenas of marine science and conservation. Inspiring public commitment is at the heart of the Center's vision.
As a Senior Researcher, you will be responsible for providing scientific and strategic leadership with regards to the research programs of the YSWRRC. The Senior Researcher will also contribute to supervise students and postdocs and participate in the daily operations of the YSWRRC for knowledge dissemination and education.
The Senior Researcher is in-charge of developing research projects focusing on seagrass habitats of the Arabian Gulf. The Senior Researcher will develop methods to study seagrass ecosystems in situ as well as carry out hypothesis-led laboratory experiments.
- To provide scientific and strategic leadership with regards to the assigned field of research and create an enabling environment for scientific research excellence
- To lead the production of high-quality research reports, scientific publications, and other communication material
- To develop collaborative research with YSWRRC colleagues and to actively promote external contacts and networks for local and international collaboration
- To develop, write and submit proposals for major research/conservation grants and funding programs
- To supervise the adequate use and maintenance of all facilities and equipment of the YSWRRC
- To lead research teams, supervise students and coordinate collaborating scientists
- To conduct research effectively by maintaining accurate records of experiments and analyses performed, conducting relevant literature searches, and maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of all current methods of experimentation
- To develop and update guidelines and protocols for lab operations and procedures and to disseminate that information to research staff and students working in laboratories
- To develop and manage conservation and/or restoration projects with governmental and/or non-governmental agencies as well as other partners
- To actively contribute to the outreach goals and education programs of the YSWRRC
- To collaborate with SeaWorld Abu Dhabi zoological and education teams as required
- To contribute to the overall success of the YSWRRC projects by performing all other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Experiences and Skills Requirements:
- PhD in Marine Sciences, Biological Sciences or equivalent
- At least 5 years of experience in a related field
- Expertise in seagrass biology and eco-physiology, seagrass ecosystem functioning and dynamics, seagrass habitat resilience and restoration, and/or other relevant topics.
- Demonstrated competency in scientific investigation of seagrass meadows: field and/or laboratory-based research studies
- Demonstrated success in publishing research results in refereed scientific journals and peer-reviewed publications
- Evidence of effective communication skills, particularly in communicating research findings to non-academic audiences
- Excellent leadership and teamwork abilities
- Ability to represent the Yas SeaWorld Research and Rescue Center to community, media, government agencies, and aquaculture associations
- Demonstrated commitment to company values and safety
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Previous experience in the GCC region is an advantage
- Ability to contribute to the development of external cooperation and to attract funding to the research area is seen as an asset
- Evidence of multicultural skills in the workplace is an advantage
- Evidence of success at securing competitive grant funding
- Evidence of success in mentoring graduate students and/or post-doctoral researchers
- Evidence of community engagement and academic outreach
- Evidence of ability to work effectively in interdisciplinary teams
To be considered for this role, you will need to submit the following as part of your application:
- Up-to-date CV which includes full publication list
- A cover letter
- A one-page summary of past research accomplishments and future research interests
- A list of the names/affiliation and contact details of three references.
All documents should be uploaded along with the application details and clearly marked.
Farai Mutusva, Talent Acquisition Lead
Submit all relevant documents via our careers site
Closing date: 01 December 2021