The Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue (UQAT) is a human-scale institution performing activities primarily in the Abitibi-Témiscamingue and Nord-du-Québec regions, in the Hautes Laurentides RCM and with Aboriginal communities. For more than a quarter of a century, UQAT has distinguished itself at several levels: teaching, research and creation, and service to the community. Thanks to its recognized expertise, UQAT plays an increasingly significant role at the regional, provincial, national and international scales. Its unique development model builds on partnerships in all its areas of coverage, thus ensuring accessibility to university education. It has developed a wide range of fields that today makes its reputation: creation and new media, human and social development, education, forests, engineering, management, mining and the environment, health and First Peoples.
The Research Institute on Mines and the Environment (RIME) is seeking to fill a position of:
The candidate will teach primarily to graduate-level students with the aim of furthering their theoretical, scientific and technological knowledge in the fields of the environment and management of mine wastes, including: applied mineralogy in the mining environment, management and valorization of mine wastes, modeling of the geochemical and environmental behaviour of mine wastes and disposal sites, treatment and prediction of mine water quality, mining geo-technology, and mine site reclamation. The candidate will be required to conduct research and secure funding for the projects conducted by his graduate students through granting agencies and other sources. The candidate will be asked to perform administrative tasks at RIME and will have to integrate into the existing research team.
- Doctoral degree with a specialization in one or more fields related to the environment and mine waste management. NOTE: Candidates who have initiated the final drafting phase of their doctoral thesis could be considered.
- Proficiency in written and spoken French (teaching language), or intention to acquire it.
- Proficiency in spoken and written French and English; the application of a candidate who is not proficient in French may be considered, subject to specific conditions.
OTHER CRITERIA CONSIDERED AS AN ASSET:
- A well-established or promising academic research portfolio, for the purpose of initiating or pursuing a high-quality autonomous and innovative research program.
- Pedagogical skills and ability to provide educational support and mentoring to master’s and doctoral students.
Doctoral students must show an interest and readiness to acquire these skills and ability.
- A readiness and ability to integrate, cooperate, exchange, and work in a team; a capacity to become actively involved in the development and management of RIME.
- Industrial experience and good knowledge of Canadian or international mining.
- Membership in a professional association, such as the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ) or Ordre des géologues du Québec (OGQ).
PRIMARY WORK LOCATION: Rouyn-Noranda
START DATE: November 13, 2017
SALARY: Salary is established on the basis of each candidate’s qualifications and experience and the current collective agreement.
In compliance with Canada’s immigration requirements, this job offer gives priority to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. UQAT is an equal opportunity employer (targeted groups: women, visible and ethnic minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities).
APPLICATION: An application file includes a detailed curriculum vitae and the names and contact information of two individuals who can provide references. To complete your application file, submit a brief letter describing your interest in the position, your teaching philosophy, and the general orientations of your proposed research program.
SPECIFIC CONDITION: For your application to be considered, you must enclose a duly completed employment equity form. Please print it from (www.uqat.ca/emplois).
All applications will be treated confidentially. Interested candidates must submit their full application file (make sure to indicate the competition number) together with a copy of their doctoral degree by August 7, 2017, 16:30 hours, to the attention of:
Mr. Bruno Bussière, Director
Research Institute on Mines and the Environment (RIME)
Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue
445, boul. de l’Université
Rouyn-Noranda (Quebec) J9X 5E4
Phone: 1 819 762-0971 ext. 2531
Fax: 1 819 797-4727