DISCOVERING HIDDEN VALUE
Cairn Energy PLC (Cairn) is an oil and gas exploration and production company headquartered in Edinburgh with operational offices in Nuuk (Greenland), Madrid (Spain) and Kathmandu (Nepal). Cairn is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is part of the FTSE 250.
There are two separate parts of the business: Capricorn Oil Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cairn focused on exploration, with interests in Greenland, Spain, Albania, Nepal and more recently the acquisition of interests in the Norwegian and UK North Sea; and an investment in Cairn India Limited (CIL), which is listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange of India and has interests in India and Sri Lanka.
Sub-Surface Data Technologist - Edinburgh
We are now looking to recruit a Sub-Surface Data Technologist to provide our Technical Exploration team with access to high quality Geoscience data, information and knowledge and to support our assets teams through their development lifecycle.
General Support Duties
- To provide pro-active support duties for the Exploration team
- Log all in-coming technical data in the Master Technical Data Registration sheet
- Provide back-fill support to the technical teams when our Data Management Team Leader is absent
- Work with our Data Management Team Leader on a day-to-day basis to deliver quality data for use in interpretation
DM Systems & Applications Support
- Assist in hardware maintenance for Linux/Unix server and client workstations
- Assist in the installation of software upgrades and patches for Linux Red Hat OS and the G&G applications portfolio
- Assist in G&G software support and project/database backup system
- Support users in maximising the use of our technology portfolio (e.g. Geoframe, Paradigm, Petrel, SMT, Recall and Petrosys)
- Liaise with vendor support services to resolve software and application project issues
- Assist in the setup and support of Cairn Data Rooms
- Upload data sets to our geodesy e-Room for QC by third party surveyor
- Assist with in implementation of new technologies required by the business
- Coordinate incoming and outgoing data via various media such as tape/HDD/DVD/FTP
- Liaise with Exploration and IT departments according to requirements
- Carry out any other associated duties assigned by the Group Information & Data Manager, Head of Exploration or Data Management Team Leader.
- Work at a detailed level to populate corporate data bases with data from a known source and that has been QC'd prior to loading
- Transfer/load data from corporate repositories to project based interpretation systems
- Aid technical team in Map Management
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- Degree qualified in a Geoscience discipline or IT/Computing discipline.
- Data Management experience in an E&P or service company
- Awareness, knowledge and hands-on experience working with a range of E&P data types including geophysical (seismic, velocities, gravity), petrophysical/well and GIS/culture data
- Proven experience with data management workflows
- Proven ability to work with various data types and to re-format and manipulate complex data sets for various applications and databases
- UNIX/Linux experience or equivalent knowledge
- Tangible evidence, or knowledge, in the use of E&P applications and databases, the loading of various data types and the creation of G&G application projects
If you are interested in applying for this role, please send a copy of your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Further information on Cairn Energy and this vacancy can be found on our website www.cairnenergy.com