Location: Durham, UK
Reporting to: Test Lead
Candidates must have the right to work in the UK without the need of a work permit
The Present and Future of GeoPrediction
"In a fiercely competitive industry the winners will be those with the leading technology at their fingertips"
Ikon Science Ltd, the global GeoPrediction software company, has numerous locations worldwide including London, Houston, Kuala Lumpur and Calgary. We develop and deliver RokDoc software, QI Services, GeoPressure Consultancy and Multi-Client Studies, with afresh and flexible scientific approach to create subsurface value.
Ikon Science is looking for a permanent full-time software tester to join a growing Testing team, working on our in-house GeoPrediction software, within an agile software lifecycle development framework. Relevant training will be provided where necessary.
To improve the quality and usability of the Ikon Science software products. This will be achieved through extensive manual/automated testing and extensive collaboration with software developers and support staff.
CORE WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Software Development Team - To identify and document defects and understand the remedial action taken to address these defects. To provide user feedback on how new and existing RokDoc functionality should behave.
- Geoscience Support Team/ Technical Sales Team - To liaise with Client Support and Training staff in order to document issues as required.
- Quantitative Interpretation Services Team - To consult with expert end users in order to better understand the science behind the RokDoc functions and optimize the user experience.
- Test Script Execution - Run test scripts in an accurate and efficient manner. Record all necessary test script/data updates, providing adequate details such that any member of the testing team may make the changes.
- Test Script Maintenance - Update existing test script documents with any changes required in order for the test script to thoroughly test the current version of the software.
- Test Script Development - Write new test scripts to address deficiencies in the scope of testing existing functionality and to test new functionality as it is added.
- Defect Tracking - Accurately record all software defects in JIRA with sufficient level of detail to enable software developers to understand, reproduce and address the defects. Provide relevant instructions for other test team members to verify the fix.
- Automation - Develop and maintain code for automated testing.
- Agile Process (SCRUM) - Attend and contribute in the daily stand up meetings and planning meetings. Complete the planned testing tasks within the 2 week sprint period. Provide feedback during retrospective and review meetings. Take ownership of the product's testing responsibilities.
- Weekly Reporting and Time Management - Write a weekly status report delivered weekly in standard company format. Manage time in such a way that it is possible to deliver primary accountabilities while maintaining a healthy work / life balance.
- Provide functional demonstrations and guidance to internal RokDoc users, particularly the Support and Training staff.
- Assist with updating documentation for new product releases.
- Understand how users (internal and external) use Ikon Science software in order to improve scope and relevance of testing.
- Assist the Support Team with client-based problem solving and demonstrations.
- Assist with onsite and telephone support as well as training of external and internal clients.
SKILLS / KNOWLEDGE
- Reporting defects and liaising with various teams to ensure successful resolution.
- Excellent understanding of the purpose of testing and where it fits in to software development lifecycle.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Good general IT knowledge including use of Windows and Linux operating systems.
- High level of analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to program in Java/JavaFX/Python or a similar language.
- Knowledge of industry standard tool, such as JIRA and/or VersionOne, is preferable.
INTERPERSONAL AND CONSULTING COMPETENCIES
- Self-motivated - Must be able to work unsupervised and with a 'can do' attitude.
- Team Player - Must be an active team member. Willing to help other team members when asked.
- Enthusiastic - Must be aware of the work being done by the entire team and understand where help can be offered. Motivated to ask for help when needed from the appropriate person and ask for more work to be given when a task is completed.
- Time Management - Accepts that software testing is often subject to time constraints and pressure to release. Maintains a professional approach by prioritising responsibilities and informing supervisor if unable to meet deadlines.
- Focus on Excellence - Seeks continuous improvement of Ikon Science software products.
- Professional Development - Actively develop technical expertise with Ikon Science software. Actively develop own testing skill base through formal training. Seek and apply constructive performance feedback.
- Domain Knowledge - Understanding of how Ikon Science software fits into the oilfield lifecycle.
- Reliable - Maintain appropriate and agreed upon office hours and notify supervisor when absence is required.
- Confident - Excel in speaking to clients in a professional and polite manner with the patience to listen and ability to understand and resolve issues.
- Geology/Geophysics degree
- Computer Science/Software Engineering degree
- Maths, Physics or other highly numerate degree
- ISEB/ISTQB qualified
- Numerate degree (else sufficient prior testing experience)
- Experience using geoscience software products such as Petrel, Kingdom, RokDoc or knowledge of the oil and gas industry is an asset.
- Experience in software development and knowledge of the software development lifecycle
- Experience testing standalone applications.
- Familiarity with Windows & Linux platforms in a commercial environment.
If you feel you meet the requirements of the job description as set out above, in particular the Educational requirements, and are legally permitted to work in the UK without the need for a work permit, please send your CV with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to the expected volume of applications, if you have not received a response from us within 10 days of your application then you have to assume that you have not been selected for interview.