Technical Applications Analyst
West of London, Uxbridge
Nexen invests in and develops traditional and unconventional assets around the world including the Gulf of Mexico, offshore West Africa, Canada, Colombia and the North Sea. We are the second largest oil producer in the North Sea and continue to diversify our portfolio.
The Technical Applications Analyst supports the geoscience community in the operational usage of geological, geophysical and relevant data environments. The role also has responsibility for software upgrades, testing/implementation and assisting with licence management. It provides secondary support to application installations, upgrades, patches etc (Linux primarily), managing the technical applications server and Engineering and Drilling applications when required.
This is an exciting opportunity for a candidate currently working as an Applications Analyst within the Oil & Gas industry who wishes to develop both their role and career by taking on new areas of responsibility for a wide range of technical applications supporting a large and diverse user base.
- Contributing to a stable and reliable technical applications environment and providing added value services to the Subsurface, Exploration and Drilling & Completions groups in the UK / Europe businesses, focusing primarily on the G&G based applications - minimising planned systems down-time in specific areas of responsibility
- Ensuring business requirements are understood and the services and projects are business aligned/sponsored and expectations are met
- Contribute to Identifying opportunities for technology to improve the efficiency and effectiveness for the Subsurface, Exploration and Drilling & Completions groups in the UK / Europe businesses
- Understand the developing requirements of the UK / Europe business and be responsive to change in support requirements, service delivery, and program of improvements.
- Provide technical application support for the asset-based technical teams in maximising production and delivery of projects, improvements and services.
- Ensure that sanctioned and approved IS projects are managed using the Corporate IT Project Management Methodology with appropriately documented Project Charters, project plans, steering committee reviews and regular status reporting. Ensure the appropriate gate reviews are performed and an operational readiness assessment completed for material projects. Complete all projects on schedule, within budget and in accordance with the project objectives and scope. Ensure continuous improvement through post project reviews
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Degree in geoscience or IT related subject or equivalent
- Strong knowledge of operating systems such as Linux (Red Hat), UNIX and Windows.
- Strong working knowledge of Landmark's core geological and geophysical application including OpenWorks data environment
- Strong knowledge of application installations workflows
- Knowledge of and experience with support and data management for Petrel application and OpenSpirit
- Proven experience in supporting applications on both PC and UNIX platforms
- Good understanding of geoscience data types
- Experience with supporting call management/tracking systems, preferably 'Remedy'.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and confidence to interact with internal and external groups.
- ITIL Service Delivery
- Strong knowledge of licence management using applications such as FlexNet Manager, FLexLM etc
- Knowledge of and experience of supporting Petrosys mapping application
- Experience with GIS systems (e.g. ArcGIS MapInfo, NitroView)
- Knowledge of / experience with ITIL IT Service Management methodology.
- Practical experience in project management and project delivery
Join Nexen and grow with us
Nexen is recognised as one of the world's best employers. Our commitment to professional development, diversity and integrity provides a stable working environment. We provide generous relocation support and a remuneration package designed to attract and keep the very best, with benefits to encourage a healthy work/life balance.
For more information and to apply, please go to: nexeninc.com/careers or send your CV along with a cover letter to: Commercial_Recruitment@nexeninc.com. Reference: 4679