Title: Data Manager - Oil Operator - WS/994
Location: UK - Central London
Job Status: Permanent
Interview Date: ASAP
Start Date: ASAP
Open To: EU Citizens or holders of UK work permits
An Oil Exploration, Development and Production Company seek a Data Manager to take ownership of the management of their existing oil related data whilst preparing the way for future expansion. This is an exciting new opportunity as the Company is presently relatively small but has expansion plans in place for further North Sea and potentially overseas growth. Applicants are invited with a good understanding of well and seismic data types, formats, data stores and good data management practices. This is both a management and sometime technically hands on role so flexibility and the confidence to excel are key. Role offers major opportunity to develop your career in data management with an expanding oil operator.
The Company hold operated and non-operated assets in the central North Sea and currently have production from four producing assets. They are wholly owned by a Japanese conglomerate with the financial backing and commitment to expand their oil and gas assets. As such the Company is planning for future expansion and are now looking at data and opportunities outside of the UKCS. They are determined to increase reserves, production, and profit through acquisitions, developments and high impact exploration and are gearing up towards this goal.
The Company is relatively small at present, with most team members multi-tasking when workload requires. Working in a friendly, dynamic open environment you will quickly get exposure to all aspects of the business and will be involved in all data management matters across the value chain from geotechnical, operations and commercial data. For example as you progress this will cover data system environments, data room retrieval, data loading operations, defining policies in relation to data structures and Company data storage and retrieval. You will manage all aspects of geotechnical, operations and commercial data.
In planning for further expansion, the Company is committed to improving their data management services to support their operations and you will be actively involved, taking ownership and driving all the data management strategies.
Responsibilities: Reporting to the Exploration Manager your primary responsibilities will be to:
- Work closely with the team to understand their current business needs in terms of data management requirements.
- Devise and implement data management plans that are aligned with business needs and that will provide readily accessible data in a professional and timely manner for operations.
- Work closely with the IT Manager to ensure the system environments/infrastructure/networks are in place to deliver the agreed data management objectives.
- Take ownership for all aspects of data management and supportive systems and applications (e.g. Document Management System...)
- Provide second line IT and application support as required.
- Manage all third party relationships with contracted data management providers. Manage the contract, budgets, service provision. , etc.
- Develop data management policies that will quality assure and protect all data stored, received or shared with third parties.
- Create and maintain procedures and standards required for the information stored in project and Company data stores.
- Promote good data management processes throughout the Company - get users buy in to new practices.
- As required, provide hands-on data assistance to the G&G staff e.g. data loading, archive, restore, mapping, presentations and general G&G operations.
- Responsible for staying abreast of technical innovation/advancements and integrating new technology and procedures when required. Be proactive in learning of emerging data management trends and solutions to support business operations.
This is a great opportunity for a dynamic individual with sound knowledge of well and seismic data, a strong appreciation of good data management practices and who is looking to take on a more challenging role. It is an excellent time to lead and drive data management across operations. The role offers a great deal of scope and autonomy to demonstrate success working with an expanding operator.
Preferences: The successful candidate will have:
- Degree level education preferred. (Preferably in a Geoscience, IM or IT related subject.)
- At least 3 years data management experience working in an E&P company or service related company essential.
- Familiarity with UK North Sea data essential. Exposure to other basins is a plus.
- A good understanding of geological data and exploration operations essential.
- Experience gained in an environment where individual accountability and high level contribution are the norm highly desired.
- Previous experience in loading seismic or/and well data highly desired.
- Previous experience dealing with operations and commercial oil operator data advantageous. Training provided.
- Previous experience working with or managing a document management system advantageous. Training provided.
- A broad understanding of data management life cycle experience essential - e.g. seismic, wells, spatial, GIS solutions, Company database, data models, project data base etc. and understanding of data flows across disciplines (i.e. Exploration, Drilling and Petroleum Engineering).
- Highly flexible - understands the challenges and workloads of small companies. Able to adapt.
- An overall appreciation of the data management challenges facing oil and gas companies today, the DM practices and solutions used and the value of good data management practices to maximise operations.
- Knowledge of best-practice and industry procedures and standards related to geotechnical data essential.
- An understanding of the applications used in the exploration and production industry desired e.g. IHS-Kingdom and Petrel preferred
- Good general IT system environment skills essential.
- Strong interpersonal skills essential as you will interact closely with technical and managerial staff across the company and with operating partners and DM solution providers.
- Confidence to drive Data management change where needed essential.
- Strong project management skills - the ability to prioritize competing demands and manage the successful delivery of DM services.
- Good understanding of emerging E&P industry data management solutions, trends and best practices essential.
- Highly analytical with attention to detail, but with the ability to see 'The Big Picture'
- Highly flexible & dynamic individual - must be able to adapt to changing demands.
- Self-motivated, adaptable and enthusiastic with a proactive approach to tasks.
Package: An attractive remuneration package of £50K - £75K plus potential performance driven bonus and full range of benefits plus Long Term Incentive Plan, and gym membership is on offer dependent on skills and experience.
Applications for this job are accepted via www.working-smart.co.uk
To apply, go to the Web Site, Select ‘Candidates’ and ‘Review Jobs’. OR alternatively, you can forward your CV electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org, detailing the job title and reference number. We would also suggest that you forward a Cover Letter focused on your experience in line with the requirements specified. Please detail which location you are interested in your Cover Letter.