To develop, lead and implement a pasture grazing research programme with emphasis on some or all of the following:
- Pasture production and utilisation under grazing
- Animal intake and performance under grazing
- Sustainable grazing management systems
- Grassland feed planning and budgeting
The research programme will seek to understand how underlying principles of grass physiology and sward dynamics affect the measured outcomes.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Develop, lead and implement a grazing research programme to improve the sustainability of the Irish grass-based ruminant production systems.
- Design and manage grassland (grass/clover) experiments, perform statistical analysis of experimental data and publish the resulting data.
- Manage staff and resources assigned to the research programme
- Identify opportunities for cutting-edge research to address key knowledge gaps in grazing research.
- Attract external funding with the objective of developing critical mass in the area, by building a dynamic team of post-doctoral researchers(s) and post-graduate student(s).
- Develop and maintain active collaboration with the relevant national and international research communities.
- Supervise, in conjunction with University partners, postgraduate students to Masters and PhD level
- Interpret and publish research results in the scientific and popular press, at conferences (nationally and internationally) and to stakeholders
- Candidates must have an Honours Level 8 degree in Agriculture or a related discipline.
- PhD in a relevant discipline
- Note: While a PhD is an essential requirement for this post, equivalent research experience may be deemed acceptable solely at the discretion of the Director of Teagasc
- Post-doctoral experience in grazing research would be a distinct advantage.
- A proven record of scientific, per reviewed publications.
- Been successful in gaining competitive scientific funding.
How to Apply
A detailed job description and application form for this position can be accessed on the Teagasc Website at www.teagasc.ie/careers.
Completed Application Forms should be TYPED and saved in PDF format and submitted by email to email@example.com no later than 12 midnight on 8th of May 2017.
Please state relevant reference code in all correspondence.
Teagasc is an equal opportunities employer. Canvassing will disqualify.