We seek to recruit a motivated and skilled contract technician to work on an externally funded research project, which aims to evaluate new integrated pest management techniques in both arable and horticultural crops. The successful candidate will work in a multidisciplinary environment and transition regularly between laboratory, glasshouse and field experimentation to support the research project. The successful candidate will particularly be focused on the collection of insect samples from field experiments, maintenance of these experiments and molecular analysis of samples. Candidates will have at least a level 6 degree in Horticulture/Agriculture, Biology, Science or a related discipline. Candidates will ideally have experience of general molecular laboratory techniques and field experiment techniques with an ability to take responsibility, have excellent record keeping abilities and good ICT skills.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- To assist in collection and identification of insect samples, particularly aphids and flies of economic importance from cereal and horticultural crops.
- Assist with data recording and prepare field trials for planting and collate planting plans.
- Maintenance of field experiments, including application of Plant Protection Products.
- Routine molecular analysis of insect samples for insecticide resistance genes.
- Maintenance of insect colonies for experimental purposes.
- Collation of field data and maintenance of crop records.
- Managing health, safety and welfare of staff in both laboratory and field.
- Supervision of students conducting field work.
- Sourcing and ordering of necessary materials.
- To assist Teagasc in meeting the commitments of the Quality Customer Service charter and action plan.
- To actively participate in the annual business planning and Performance Management Development System (PMDS) processes.
- Fully co-operate with the provisions made for ensuring the health, safety and welfare of themselves, fellow staff and non-Teagasc staff and co-operate with management in enabling Teagasc to comply with legal obligations. This includes full compliance with the responsibilities outlined in the Safety Statement.
- To undertake other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
* This job specification is intended as a guide to the general range of duties and is intended to be neither definitive nor restrictive. Job descriptions will be issued with offers of appointment.
- Candidates must have a Level 6 qualification in Horticulture/Agriculture, Biology, Science or a related discipline.
- Strong IT skills (Especially MS Excel).
- A Level 7 qualification (or higher) with a component including molecular biology/crop protection or entomology would be a distinct advantage.
- Laboratory or Horticultural/Agricultural research experience would be highly desirable.
How to Apply
A detailed job description and application form for this position can be accessed on the Teagasc Website at www.teagasc.ie/careers
Completed application forms should be TYPED and saved in PDF format and submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 12 midnight on Friday 16th June 2017.
Please note: An early start date following offer would be highly desirable.
Please state relevant reference code in all correspondence.
Teagasc is an equal opportunities employer. Canvassing will disqualify. The details contained above are subject to change without notice.