The Asian Disaster Preparedness Center (ADPC) welcomes applications from qualified professionals with relevant experience to strengthen our professional team.
Duty Station: Bangkok, Thailand
Department: OED (under the SERVIR-Mekong Program)
Grade / Levels: C3
The Asian Disaster Preparedness Center (ADPC), established in 1986, is a regional non-profit foundation with headquarters in Bangkok, Thailand supporting the advancement of safer communities and sustainable development, through implementing programs that reduce the impact of disasters upon countries and communities in Asia and the Pacific. The primary geographical focus of ADPC's activities is Asia with the South, South East and East Asia being the primary sub-regions.
On 6 October 2014, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) announced the expansion of their joint initiative "SERVIR" to Asia's Lower Mekong region. SERVIR brings NASA's scientific and technical know-how to help developing countries use information provided by Earth observing satellites and geospatial technologies to prepare for and respond to disasters, manage natural resources, and improve food security. As a demand-driven service provider, SERVIR-Mekong will promote the use of publicly-available satellite imagery and related geospatial decision-support tools/products to help stakeholders and decision makers in Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar (Burma), Thailand, and Vietnam better predict and manage floods and other natural disasters, improve agricultural risk management, increase resilience to the negative effects of climate change, and manage land-use more sustainably.
Funded by USAID, with scientific and technical support from NASA, SERVIR-Mekong is being implemented by the Asian Disaster Preparedness Center (ADPC) and consortium partners.
Statement of Intent:
The Science and Data Lead is the principal technical expert in the SERVIR-Mekong hub and the primary technical contact with the NASA science team. The Science and Data Lead reports directly to the SERVIR-Mekong Chief of Party. S/he will take a leadership role in the development and delivery of scientific products and maintain an active network of clients and technical partners in the region. Primarily, s/he will lead the efforts of the wider SERVIR-Mekong technical team to develop new, high quality user-tailored data, tools, applications, and models to address on-the-ground priorities of the Lower Mekong region, but s/he will also contribute to capacity-building of clients, facilitate improved information sharing and active use of geospatial information for decision making in the region, and help ensure sustainability of hub functions at ADPC).
It is not the intent of this Position Description to cover every aspect of the position requirements, rather to highlight the most important areas of personal and joint responsibility.
Required Qualifications / Selection Criteria:
- Doctoral degree in Geographic Information Systems, Remote Sensing, Geography, Natural Resource Management, Hydrology, Environmental Science, or other scientific field relevant to this position
- At least 10 years of experience developing user or client driven geospatial tools, or applications, including modeling, database management, and quality control
- Project management experience focused on geospatial or other science-based tools
- Familiarity with proprietary and open-source software for spatial analysis and data management
- Proven record of productive engagement and collaboration with scientists
- Proven record of productive engagement with government stakeholders or other clients/users of geospatial tools and applications
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English
- Professional experience in the Lower Mekong region desired
- Ability to communicate in at least one of the Lower Mekong languages desired
- Operate within all ADPC Guidelines & Procedures/ Policies
Duties and Responsibilities:
A. Technical Leadership
- Lead the overall management of all SERVIR-Mekong geospatial product development
- Lead and supervise the SERVIR-Mekong science team
- Provide technical guidance to product development teams as necessary
- Constantly look for opportunities to advance the science aspect of SERVIR-Mekong and ADPC
- Ensure that the science- and data-related objectives of the overall program, monitoring and evaluation (M&E) plan, and annual work plan are clear and concise and that all program staff clearly understand these objectives
- Coordinate closely with the SERVIR-Mekong team, USAID, NASA, and external partners on science and data related matters to ensure the smooth implementation of program activities and leverage synergies between various activities and products
- Oversee the development, implementation, information flow, and maintenance of collaborative knowledge management tools to ensure effective and efficient coordination of activities and inputs to achieve project science and data objectives
- Ensure user engagement and capacity development in service delivery of all geospatial products
- Organize, conduct, and follow up on regular meetings of the SERVIR Science Team
- Participate in all relevant SERVIR-Mekong staff meetings as assigned
- Travel as needed to countries in the Mekong to facilitate inputs to and coordinate the implementation of activities related to SERVIR-Mekong objectives
- Support training courses, workshops, and other capacity-building activities in the planning implementation, and follow-up phases
- Contribute to program-related science and data products, reports, and knowledge products
- Integrate innovative use of tools and technologies into daily workflows at SERVIR-Mekong
B. Program Development and Networking
- Establish relationships and keep regular contact with existing and/or prospective SERVIR partners and clients, including representatives of government agencies, academic and research institutions, multi- and bi-lateral development partners, non-governmental organizations and other civil society groups, and private sector entities at national and regional levels
- Represent the SERVIR-Mekong program (especially science and data aspects) in external meetings, workshops, conferences, and other events
- Facilitate uptake of SERVIR tools by prospective partners and users
- Maintain up-to-date, high quality resources (including but not limited to PowerPoint presentation, factsheets, and web content) representing program technical objectives and ongoing work
- Provide inputs as requested to communication efforts and products related to SERVIR-Mekong
D. People Management and Development
- Provide input for recruitment of SERVIR-Mekong staff (including drafting and reviewing job descriptions, reviewing candidate qualifications, etc.) as requested
- Proactively seek to identify and take advantage of opportunities for professional development of self and colleagues, especially those related to the development and refinement of geospatial analysis and geospatial information technology skills and experiences
- Assist in assessing the capacity and professional development priorities of SERVIR-Mekong staff and in designing and implementing activities to address these priorities
- Take leadership and support team members in publishing work under SERVIR-Mekong in peer-reviewed articles
E. Monitoring, Evaluation, and Reporting
- Monitor progress against work plans to ensure that the project attains its objectives as cost-effectively and efficiently as possible
- Prepare progress reports covering relevant technical aspects
- Review and edit reports drafted by other SERVIR-Mekong staff and partners as needed or assigned
- Contribute to the formulation of a M&E plan and annual work plan for the duration of the project
F. Sustainability of SERVIR-Mekong
This job description covers the general responsibilities and representative tasks of this position. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to program priorities and needs.
- Conduct internal capacity development activities to transfer knowledge to other ADPC staff
- Contribute to other ADPC programs and projects on areas related to science and data
- Assist the Chief of Party in mobilizing additional financial resources
One (1) year contract with possibility of extension.