Job reference: GR-073
Joining SNC - Lavalin Atkins on our Aerospace, Defence, Security and Technology (ADS&T) Division will mean you that you are able to work with teams across mission critical industries, to contribute to the security and resilience of the nation, or to exploit advanced technology to help clients to not only meet, but embrace these exciting times. They work with leading names to transform the future of aerospace engineering and create lighter, quieter and more fuel-efficient aircrafts. The security team is trusted by organisations to help them understand the threats they are facing and develop the strategies to counter them.
At SNC - Lavalin Atkins we offer a world of opportunities from the projects you’ll work on to the directions you can take your career. Whilst our continuous mentoring, on the job learning and training will help you achieve professional registration and develop industry skills that are highly sought after.
Geospatial Analysis (Birmingham)
We are an award winning, innovative team who are at the cutting edge of Geospatial solutions. We are looking for high performing individuals who have the right traits to be technically excellent and excel in a consultancy environment. A place in this team is suited to someone who is passionate about the application of geospatial technology to real world problems, someone who wants to apply GIS across a broad range of disciplines from large, nationally important road/rail projects to renewables or nuclear energy project, who works on projects based in the UK to those in the developing world. Previous graduates who have joined the team have:
- Worked on the high profile High Speed Two project
- Travelled to countries such as Kenya, Malawi and Dubai
- Spent a year on secondment with the renewable energy company
- Worked at the heart of a geospatial innovation project which saved a utility company £6m+
- Been selected from 600+ graduates as Atkins Graduate of the Year
- Wrestled with the challenge of integrating design data in the geospatial environment
- Researched opensource technology and its ability to deliver highly detailed 3D web mapping
What you’ll be doing
The Atkins Geospatial team provide a range of services covering the full lifecycle of location based information from data acquisition, processing and spatial analysis to information and data management. Our drive is to deliver innovative, quality solutions to our clients which enables them to use data to make well informed decisions in a user friendly and intuitive environment. Our success lies in our integration across the Atkins businesses, and our hunger to push geospatial solutions ever forward.
The role of a GIS Graduate is an exciting and rewarding opportunity to gain experience in implementing GI solutions across multiple disciplines and throughout all parts of a project’s life cycle. You could be involved in:
- Projects where we are advising and guiding internal and external clients on the best approach to take for a wide range of GI aspects from basic constraints mapping for our environment team
- 3D visualisation of a new pipeline route and creating viewshed maps for planning applications on small projects to large infrastructure projects
- Supporting other Atkins work on large multi-disciplinary projects
We believe in getting our graduates working on projects from the moment they join (but after they have attended ESRI and FME training) so expect to be busy. Equal to our desire for excellent geospatial solutions is the aim for all employees to have the right work-life balance, you will work hard whilst in the office and leave on time - when away from client deadlines.
Within Atkins Geomatics we collect raw geospatial data using a wide variety of traditional and leading-edge surveying and remote sensing technologies including UAVs, LiDAR and photogrammetry. We provide Geomatics services to small, medium and large projects from geodetic control survey, traditional ground survey, LiDAR/Laser Scanning survey (static, mobile and aerial), aerial photogrammetric survey (manned and unmanned) and all aspects of data processing.
Our drive is to define innovative solutions in order to provide the highest quality 3D survey and mapping data products to our clients’ requirements. Our success lies in our experience across a wide range of data capture techniques and collaborative approach to defining the most appropriate survey methodology, working in partnership with disciplines from across the Atkins.
What you’ll be doing
The role of a Geomatics Graduate is an exciting and rewarding opportunity to gain experience in implementing survey solutions across disciplines. You will be involved in:
- Projects where we are advising internal and external clients on the best approach to take
- Delivering surveys for a wide range of data capture requirements
- Large aerial surveys of existing or for new infrastructure, UAV surveys, smaller as-built surveys for BIM modelling.
- Tasks could include: measuring photo control, laser scanning, post processing of aerial, UAV and laser scanning datasets, production and QA of deliverables including basic CAD outputs, orthophoto, ground models, 3D meshes, BIM models and visualisations
- Data creation, collection and validation
- Information management
- Spatial analyses
- GIS web map creation and management
- Map production
There is an increasing overlap between Geomatics and the wider Geospatial team of which we are part, meaning there will be opportunities to work in a GIS environment and software. Collaboration is the key in Atkins and this means that you might be required to visit our Bangalore GIS team, spend time in the Middle East or work with our new Atkins North America business in the United States.
In order to be exposed to wider opportunities and gain a broader outlook of our work, you will be positively encouraged to work on a range of projects and in a variety of roles over the first three-year period.
Where you’ll be based
Birmingham or Bristol although you’ll need to be UK mobile based on project requirements.
Who we’re looking for
Minimum of a Bachelors with a 2:1 classification from the following degree or masters course disciplines:
- Geographical Information Systems
- Land Survey
- LiDAR and Laser Scanning
- Aerial Survey including UAV
- Geographic Information Systems
- Earth Sciences
- Surveying and Land
- Environment Management
The prestigious Graduate Development Scheme has historically recruited 300 graduates consecutively in the last five years UK wide across SNC- Lavalin’s Atkins and Faithful + Gould. However, with the growth and changes this year we have seen monumental growth, meaning we will recruit and bring onboard 500+ Graduates through our Graduate Development Scheme (2019), making our graduate community ever growing.
Want to learn more about who we are, our graduates and what makes their life at Atkins so great? Come and look at our people and culture at #InsideAtkins If you would like to keep up to date with all things Atkins, please click the below and start scrolling;
Like us on Facebook: InsideAtkins
Follow us on Twitter: @InsideAtkins
Add us on Snapchat: AtkinsNextGen
Follow us on Instagram: atkins_global
Follow us on LinkedIn: Atkins
Watch us on YouTube: Early Careers
Rewards and Benefits
If you join us you will be working on some of the most challenging engineering projects of our time, and helping to shape the future. You will have opportunities to work closely with clients, spending time within their organisations and taking learning from some of the most experienced engineers in the industry. Our 3-year flexible graduate scheme promises to give you the support you need to develop your technical, commercial and consultancy skills. Some of our benefits, to name a few, include:
- A settling in payment of £2,500 when you join – paid within the first month
- Continuous support and mentoring to achieve chartered status with your chosen institution, funded by Atkins. With a chartership bonus of £2,500 once complete
- A robust career development plan, including a library of core learning modules and on the job technical training
- 25 days’ annual leave, plus bank holidays, with the option to buy up to 15 additional days per year
- 2 volunteer days per year for you to use for a cause that matters to you
- Assigned graduate buddy upon joining and a strong graduate network across all locations
- Various annual events, such as our 2-day graduate induction, ski trips, away weekends and team building activities.
For a full list of our benefits, please refer to our website.
How to apply
Our deadline for applications is Wednesday 2nd January 2019. Some of our programmes are incredibly popular, to avoid disappointment (where some roles may close earlier) we recommend you apply as soon as possible. For further details on our recruitment process please refer to our website.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (or in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.