EUMETSAT is Europe's meteorological satellite agency - monitoring the weather and climate from space - 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
We are currently looking for an experienced Remote Sensing Scientist to join our international team of young and inspiring engineers and industry professionals, tasked with driving innovation within the Space, Satellite and Earth Observation sector.
This role is routed in the mission of EUMETSAT and will provide the opportunity to work with leading IT, Space and Earth Observation organisations and domain experts to make a positive impact on society!
What you'll be doing
The Remote Sensing Scientist - Optical Imaging is responsible for the validation and quality monitoring of Level-2* products extracted from EUMETSAT optical imaging instrument data, prototyping candidate algorithms for new or improved Level-2 products and supporting the development of operational processors implementing the selected algorithms.
*(Level-2 products consist of geophysical properties extracted from satellite imagery data).
- Support the validation and quality monitoring of Level-2 products extracted from optical imaging instrument data;
- Lead the development of software tools for validation, quality monitoring and visualization of Level-2 products extracted from optical imaging instrument data;
- Actively interact and cooperate with the operational user community of products provided by EUMETSAT to understand requirements for new or improved Level-2 products and their intended applications;
- Cooperate with the science community and international partners and conduct or manage scientific studies aimed at evaluating candidate algorithms for the extraction of new or improved Level-2 products;
- Support the development and maintenance of prototype processing software implementing selected algorithms for the extraction of new or improved Level-2 products;
- Support the implementation and validation of operational processors implementing algorithms for the extraction of new or improved Level-2 products in the relevant operational ground segments, making use of the contracted services;
- Plan, manage and execute validation campaigns for new or improved Level-2 products from optical imaging missions and provide validation reports.
What we offer
- Excellent salary, of up to Euro 7,500 / monthly NET (after tax) based on skills and experience
- Flexible working time including additional flexi-leave
- Private medical coverage for employee and family
- Attractive final salary pension
- 30 days of annual leave + 14.5 days public holidays
- Training and development support
- Relocation allowance and support (if applicable)
Advanced university degree in meteorology, atmospheric physics, physical remote sensing, or equivalent.
Skills and Experience:
- In-depth knowledge of atmospheric/meteorological optical remote sensing with extensive experience of data processing from relevant optical imaging instruments;
- Demonstrated experience in Level-2 product validation from relevant optical imaging instruments;
- Demonstrated experience in developing scientific application software and analysis tools in Python (preferred), MATLAB or IDL;
- Experience with operational data processing software (Java, FORTRAN, C++) would be an advantage;
- Experience in management of development projects for scientific application software would be an advantage;
- Experience in working with atmospheric and meteorological user communities and researchers.
More about us
EUMETSAT's role is to establish and operate meteorological satellites to monitor the weather and climate from space - 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. This information is supplied to the National Meteorological Services of the organisation's Member and Cooperating States in Europe, as well as other users worldwide.
EUMETSAT also operates several Copernicus missions on behalf of the European Union and provide data services to the Copernicus marine and atmospheric services and their users.
As an intergovernmental European Organisation, EUMETSAT can recruit nationals only from the 30 Member States (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom).