GAF AG is a renowned, innovative and internationally successful company based in Munich (Germany). With its about 230 highly qualified employees, GAF has leading expertise in the area of interdisciplinary geoinformation technology.
GAF is working in the tropical forest monitoring (including mangrove) domain using high-resolution and very high-resolution satellite data, to support countries with assessing deforestation rates for national and international policy processes. The technical work is innovate and challenging as the applications are related to different ecosystems and require automated processing chains.
This is an opportunity for a Forester/Ecologist with Remote Sensing experience to further develop his/her technical/project skills and professional career in an international active company. To strengthen our capacities in the field of (semi-) automatic analysis of remote sensing data and the creation and implementation of modular processing chains, we are now looking for motivated experts with a focus on remote sensing, data analysis, optimising and implementing processing chains, with also a strong forestry and environmental background.
Remote Sensing Specialist
for Forest Monitoring Projects
- Implementation of modular process chains for forest/land cover thematic image analysis and for supporting automatic evaluation procedures by close communication with our development teams by provision of assistance for further process enhancements
- Support of conceptual development of workflows for automation of image processing process chains (e.g. time- series analysis, bulk image classification)
- Implementation of specific evaluation modules/workflows for thematic image analysis with a focus on optical data and/or SAR, mainly in Python
- Organising and implementing the EO forest/land cover product generation under consideration of budget, schedule and resources
- Implementation of Quality Control and Quality Assurance of output products
- Support of project reporting and documentation of workflows and tools
- Educational background: Minimum MSc. in forestry, ecology or similar, with a focus on remote sensing and one of the following disciplines: tropical forestry, land use
- Profound / deeper understanding of modular process chains for thematic image analysis
- Minimum 5 years of relevant working experience
- Advanced knowledge of the mathematical/physical basics of remote sensing and the thematic analysis of satellite data
- Profound knowledge on machine learning, neural networks, ensemble learning techniques
- Advanced practical experience in remote sensing, GIS, EO data processing, tropical forest, land use/land cover classification, damage assessment, tree species classification
- Excellent reporting and communication skills
- Autonomous and self-responsible working as well as team working skills
- Excellent command of English
- Demonstrated report writing skills and experience
- Programming experience and skills, especially in Python
- Work experience using Jupyter Notebooks
- Knowledge of geodatabases (PostGIS/PostgreSQL), GeoServer, OGC Standards
- Experience with Running ML/AI Applications in Kubernetes with e.g. Kubeflow, Tensorflow Serve
- French or Spanish language skills would be an asset
What to expect:
- Variety instead of everyday routine in exciting projects in one of Europe’s leading geo-information companies
- Comprehensive support when you start at GAF, as part of our mentoring programme
- Personal responsibility and freedom to contribute and implement your own ideas
- Training and development - your experience and knowledge count
- A multicultural and respectful working environment and an interdisciplinary team of committed colleagues
- Working cross-functional with other in-house teams
- A leadership style based on trust
- Flexible working hours as part of our flexitime policy, to make it easier to combine work and your private life
- Operational health management
- Company pension scheme (optional), travel health insurance with worldwide coverage
- Excellent public transport connections
- An attractive location in the western part of central Munich, with great opportunities for outdoor activities and recreation, including in the close vicinity
- ... and, last but not least: be your own barista! Enjoy fair trade organic coffee made in our traditional Italian espresso machine.
Engagement at the earliest possible date. Full-time position, 40 hours per week.
Are you interested in this position?
Then we look forward to receiving your application. Please send a cover letter, CV and any useful supporting documents, along with your (gross) salary expectations and your earliest possible availability to start, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please send your application in English language, within one PDF document (< 10MB) and state “Remote Sensing Specialist for Forest Monitoring Projects” as the subject.
Ms Ulla Weingart
Tel.: +49 (0)89 12 15 28 0
Arnulfstr. 199 - 80634 Munich