The UAE Research Center for Renewable Energy Mapping and Assessment at Masdar institute (recrema.masdar.ac.ae) is looking for an enthusiastic Web GIS engineer with the skills and experience to be a part of our rapidly expanding research center. He will have to:
- Lead the development of new web GIS platforms
- Maintain legacy web portals and tools
- Support any other GIS related activities
The successful candidate will be based at Masdar City Campus, Khalifa University of Science and Technology, Abu Dhabi (UAE).
Masdar Institute of Science and Technology (www.masdar.ac.ae
), a part of Khalifa University of Science and Technology, is the world's first graduate-level university dedicated to providing real-world solutions to issues of sustainability. The Institute's goal is to become a world-class research-driven graduate-level university, focusing on advanced energy and sustainable technologies. The Institute, which was created in collaboration with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), integrates theory and practice to incubate a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship, working to develop the critical thinkers and leaders of tomorrow. Masdar Institute is situated in Masdar City (www.masdar.ae
), an emerging global clean-technology cluster that aims to be one of the world's most sustainable urban developments, powered by renewable energy and providing students and researchers with a unique opportunity to live and learn in a true "living laboratory" environment.
- Bachelor/Master degree in computer science, GIS or any other equivalent qualification
- At least 8 years of experience
- Very good knowledge of GIS concepts, theory and softwares (QGIS, GDAL, ArcGIS)
- Proven understanding of OGC compliant Web Services (e.g. WMS, WFS) and applications (e.g. Geoserver, Mapserver)
- Good knowledge in Python
- Experience using Leaflet.js D3.js or related libraries
- Extent of experience using Linux server
- Knowledge in PHP
- Experience working with scientific formats (netCDF, GRIB)
- Experience working with the canvas API and WebGL
Please note that all candidates should possess good English language skills and should be capable of working with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
The compensation package for this position is very competitive with annual tax-exempt net salary commensurate with experience and education. Additional benefits include: one-time moving allowance, free comprehensive medical coverage and other components.
The application package should include:
- A cover letter summarizing experience and motivation for this position
- Comprehensive Curriculum Vitae
- Sample of relevant developed applications/products
- A list of 2-3 potential referees
Applications should be submitted by email to Pierre Vernier
) with "AD-GIS2018"
in the subject. Review of applications will begin on April 30, 2018
and continue until the position is filled. The candidate is expected to start at the earliest possible date.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for a follow-up interview.