Place: CNRM, Toulouse, France
Application deadline: April 1st 2017
Duration: 12 months
Available from: June 1st 2017
CNRM is the main Météo-France laboratory in R&D. The open position is to join the remote sensing
division of CNRM laboratory (http://www.umr-cnrm.fr/). CNRM contributes to the development of
the observation of land surfaces at the continental scale and at the global scale, through in situ and
remote sensing techniques. CNRM has acquired considerable experience in developing operational
algorithms using data from various space missions (METEOSAT, NOAA, METOP, MTG, EPS-SG,
…) and is involved in several space programs for EUMETSAT (project CDOP3, LSA-SAF), and
Objectives of the job position
The objectives of the activities are to:
- improve existing scientific algorithms for retrieval of radiative products (BRDF, albedo and solar radiation) at the surface level.
- scientifically: improve the atmospheric correction (aerosol), the retrieval of directional properties, the spectral conversion, and the angular integrations. Adapt the current algorithms to the past and next generation of instruments (mainly for the visible and near infrared domains).
- technically: improve the architecture and the performances (calculation cost).
- help IT developers in charge of the computing environment to implement the scientific algorithm in operational systems.
- conduce evaluation studies
- write and update documents of reference (ATBD, Product User Manual, validation).
- check consistency of these developments with those of other projects.
- publish and present the work in international conference.
The candidate will be based at the Centre National de la Recherche Météorologique (Toulouse,
France). The candidates should have either a PhD or an engineering diploma in atmospheric,
environmental sciences and should speak English fluently. He(she) should have good basis in remote
sensing science, particularly on aerosol and surface radiative transfer codes in the visible domain and
satellite data processing. He(she) should have an excellent knowledge of the language programming
language (Fortran, C, Python, Unix/linux shell scripts) and could have notions of graphic software
(PVWave, IDL, R).
It must be foreseen travels in order to attend group meetings and workshops, and also to participate to
The open position is for June 1st 2017. Candidates will be considered as applications are received (no
later than April 1st, 2017). The successful applicant will be recruited for 12 months (with possibility
for a renewal of 1 more year). The net monthly salary will be between 2600 and 3000 euros,
commensurate with experience and qualifications. This includes social services and health insurance.
Interested candidates should send the following documents by e-mail only, to Dominique Carrer
- a detailed CV reflecting the research experience and information about the above mentioned skills. It is essential to provide a checkable list of publications and conferences.
- an application letter explaining the research interests and motivation for the job.
- the names, telephone and e-mail address of two referees and if possible referee recommendation letters.
- a sample report from previous scientific and technical work, if possible.