The Doctoral College "GIScience" at the University of Salzburg offers a PhD position on Machine Learning and A.I. for predicting Motion Traces. The position is supported by the Austrian Science Fund (FWF). This call for application is designed exclusively for students with a specific interest in GIScience and Geoinformatics.
We are looking for a highly skilled and enthusiastic young researcher to work in the research field Collective Sensing under the main supervision of Prof. Euro Beinat. The PhD research focuses on:
- the conceptual design of prediction models for motion traces (the motion of vehicles, people, objects) in time-space, indoors and outdoors;
- the development of methods for predicting time-space traces based on deep learning and AI learning paradigms in general.
The research will leverage telecom data trace data, floating car data traces, indoor location traces and other sources of motion data.
The Interfaculty Department of Geoinformatics - Z_GIS with its Doctoral College "GIScience" aims to combine high quality education with excellent research. The Faculty has several research groups with an outstanding international reputation. The PhD candidates will join a multidisciplinary team of researchers and educators in the field of Geographic Information Science and Geoinformatics. A selection of ongoing doctoral research topics with detailed description can be found at http://dk-giscience.zgis.net/
The requirements for the application are:
- Excellent completion of a degree at the Masters level in Geoinformatics, Computer Science, Engineering or other equivalent scientific/technical degree
- Sufficient command of coding and scripting (in particular, Python)
- Excellent command of the English language (both oral and writing)
The application deadline is 01 Nov, 2017.
Candidates should submit their application to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the position name (Machine Learning and A.I. for predicting Motion Traces) and include:
- Comprehensive curriculum vitae (please name the file as "LastnameFirstname_CV.pdf)
- Copies of degree awards and transcripts documenting the fulfilment of the entry requirements
- Language certificate (if available)
The successful candidates will be invited for one or more interviews, either in person or via web meeting.
We offer a great working atmosphere as well as remuneration according to the Austrian University collective bargaining agreement (yearly gross salary: € 28.680,--).
The contract will initially be awarded for one year with an extension option of two to three years under specific circumstances. The PhD candidate is expected to spend one semester as a guest researcher at one of the 14 pre-selected partner Universities worldwide.
For all inquiries, please contact email@example.com.