Sonoma Technology is seeking a Geospatial Data Scientist to join our team and advance air quality data analysis applications through the use of geospatial data science technologies. The Geospatial Data Scientist will support the Lead Geospatial Data Scientist in the development, application, and analysis of geographical tools used to address air quality challenges. The position will be located in the Washington, DC office.
Selected by the North Bay Business Journal as one of the Best Places to Work for the 13th consecutive year, Sonoma Technology is an employee-owned consulting firm that provides innovative, science- and technology-based solutions for our clients' environmental challenges worldwide. Our integrated teams of air quality and environmental scientists, meteorologists, software engineers, and specialists tailor products and services to best serve our clients. We empower our clients to make informed, timely decisions about environmental issues.
We believe that our most valuable resource is our team. We offer a casual but professional work environment, a competitive benefits package to full-time employees, and an opportunity to address intellectually challenging environmental issues. We organize a variety of inclusive activities throughout the year and enjoy a balanced and supportive culture. For more information about our culture, visit www.sonomatech.com/charter.
Sonoma Technology is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
- Support a range of data analysis and software development tasks to advance solutions to air quality challenges.
- Apply geospatial data analysis tools to projects in the fields of air quality exposure, wildfire and risk modeling, smoke analysis and modeling, and fusion of air quality data sets.
- Use satellite data to study air quality impacts on scales ranging from city to global.
- Develop documentation of analyses or tool development, and support project write-up.
- Present results and trainings to internal and external clients in a professional and scientifically rigorous manner.
- Apply Python and R script tools to assess air quality exposure for health research.
- Perform quality assurance of geospatial data products, such as road traffic volume and fleet mix data sets, in support of air quality modeling.
- Present results of analyses of air quality data through presentations and written documents.
- Support the evaluation of geospatial predictions.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- A BS, MS, or PhD degree in geography, geographic information science, atmospheric science. or a related field.
- Familiarity with the fundamentals of geographic information science, including projections, data, geodesy, and spatial analysis.
- Experience applying geographic software packages to analysis of vector and raster data sets, such as ArcGIS, QGIS, ENVI, ERDAS Imagine, or GDAL/OGR, and experience applying scripting tools offered by these software packages to environmental challenges.
- Familiarity with air quality and atmospheric chemistry.
- A strong grasp of statistical and mathematical concepts.
- Excellent communication, organization, time management, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability and willingness to learn through on-the-job internal and external training.
Desired Qualifications and Skills:
- Demonstrated proficiency in a data science and analysis scripting languages (e.g., Python, R, Matlab, IDL).
- Experience with development and application of statistical tools and machine learning models.
- Experience with emerging geospatial technologies and platforms, such as Google Earth Engine, Planet, Descartes Labs, Orbital Insight GO, STAC, or others.
Please send a letter of interest and a resume by email, mail, or fax to:
Sonoma Technology, Inc.
1450 N. McDowell Blvd., Suite 200
Petaluma, CA 94954
No calls please. Include this job reference code in your communication: GDS