Develop agri-environmental spatial analysis and modelling within the Environment Soils and Land-Use department. He/she will be responsible for using spatial analysis and modelling to underpin the sustainability of Irish framing systems.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop an agri-environmental spatial analysis research programme in collaboration with other Teagasc researchers.
- Further develop spatial analysis and spatial modelling as a tool for enhancing the sustainability of Irish farming systems.
- Utilise and further develop Nutrient Planning On-Line as a tool to support sustainable farming practices.
- Collate new and manage existing geospatial datasets/databases/services.
- Provide GIS support/analysis/map production/advice/response to queries for other researchers.
- To contribute to the teamwork and team-spirit in the agri-environmental research department at Johnstown Castle, and to foster and add to further collaboration and integration.
- Data analysis and curation, interpretation of scientific results, and writing of scientific peer reviewed papers, reports and stakeholder communications.
- Supervision of post graduate students in collaboration with university and Teagasc partners.
- Pursue funding opportunities to further resource the research program, by building a team of post-doctoral researchers and post graduate students.
- Actively manage resources (people, data, ICT/software resources) assigned to the research programme of the appointee.
- Candidates must have an honours Level 8 degree in GIS in geography, environmental or agricultural science. Or an honours Level 8 degree in a related discipline with a GIS component.
- PhD in a relevant discipline
Note: While a PhD is an essential requirement for this post, equivalent research experience may be deemed acceptable solely at the discretion of the Director of Teagasc.
- A postgraduate degree to PhD level and/or research experience in GIS/spatial modelling in environmental and/or agricultural science would be a distinct advantage.
- A background in the physical sciences/environmental sciences/ecology with an emphasis on numeracy would be an advantage
How to Apply
An Application Form for this position can be accessed on the Teagasc website at www.teagasc.ie/careers . Completed Application Forms should be TYPED and saved in PDF format and submitted by email to email@example.com no later than 12 midnight on Wednesday 14th December 2016. Please state relevant reference code in all correspondence. Teagasc is an equal opportunities employer. Canvassing will disqualify.