For our customer in Darmstadt we are looking for a Data Processing Engineer to support current and future Earth observation missions.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The tasks of the Data Processing Engineer shall include the following activities:
- 1. Contribute to the definition, design, implementation and maintenance of architectures for data processing ground segments and their components - with special emphasis on product quality control, calibration and validation, production monitoring and reporting.
This task will mainly include:
- 1.1. Maintenance and evolutions of applications system in the area of the Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Multi Mission Element framework and in all its components;
- 1.2. Configuration Management, building and distribution of applications software releases and patches;
- 1.3. Contribution to applications software system design and re-engineering in the area of the Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Multi Mission Element framework
- 2. Support the operations of existing data processing ground segments and their maintenance and evolution. This will also include: upgrade software, including implementing and maintaining new algorithms for product quality control and calibration/validation activities.
- 3. Perform routine tasks in operational systems under configuration control such as:
- 3.1. Contribute to the Configuration Management process and the building and distribution of software releases and patches;
- 3.2. Contribute to the development, integration and configuration management of software developed by third parties, its installation, and configuration and testing;
- 3.3. Anomaly investigations, documentation and classification.
- 3.4. Follow up of the delivery of S/W resolutions for these anomalies
- 4.Perform standard S/W engineering activities such as:
- 4.1. S/W testing in a structured approach to verify that delivered S/W is fulfilling the requirements or to demonstrate that problems have been corrected;
- 4.2. S/W integration and verification in the EUMETSAT ground segments;
- 5. Setting-up and implementation of maintenance policies and procedures,
- 6. Contribute to the procurement and installation of software, and the co-ordination with external providers of support services;
- 7. Participation in meetings and formal reviews.
Skills and Experience
In addition to a university degree in a relevant technical discipline (such as engineering or physics) the candidate shall have a background including the following skills and experience:
- Relevant experience in preparation of requirements, design, interfaces and testing documentation for data processing systems considering the systems engineering aspects of data processing management and data provision (experience of data processing for high data rate missions and/or Earth Observation missions is an asset but is not mandatory);
- Experience in S/W design, S/W development, Web applications programming, operation, maintenance and trouble shooting of large complex real-time data processing systems for Earth Observation missions.
- Competence in object-oriented software design and implementation possibly in the context of satellite instrument data processing systems.
- Ability to write accurate and consistent technical documentation.
- very good communication and presentations skills and be able to cope with very high workloads
- Ability to learn and develop the needed skills and knowledge to contribute to the development of Data Processing applications within the Supporting Application Engineering Team. This includes the ability to rapidly absorb, and make use of, information presented in written and oral communications in a dynamic context
- Ability to maintain a system overview is essential. He/she shall have a systematic approach to work, be able to plan their work and to cope with tight schedules and multiple tasks.
Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the following areas is mandatory:
- C/C++ programming language experience in a UNIX/LINUX based environment;
- Use of application programming of database systems (e.g. ORACLE, INFORMIX, PostgreSQL and MySQL);
- Competence in the use of scripting languages (e.g. shell scripting), high-level languages (e.g. Python, Java) and correspondent using of their libraries;
- Knowledge of XML and related technologies (XPATH, SVG, etc.);
- Competence in the exploitation of modern hardware and operating systems at the application level (e.g. parallel programming (pthreads, MPI, OpenMP));
- Familiarity with data formats used for meteorological satellite products;
- Design and implementation of MMI using different toolkits and languages;
Previous experience and knowledge in any of the following areas will be considered an additional asset:
- Experience with the programming and usage of IDL and Fortran;
- Experience in Web Programming;
- Competence in S/W testing, unit test suite maintenance, automated testing, verification and validation;
- Experience in system design for quality control and cal/val systems;
- Knowledge of relevant Standards, Quality Assurance and Configuration Management principles and applications;
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit their CV and Cover Letter in Europass format (https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/) to WGS recruitment team at firstname.lastname@example.org before 14th of September.
About WGS GmbH
WGS Workgroup Solutions GmbH is a private held company founded in 2013 and based in the Frankfurt area (Germany). WGS provides excellent engineering and consulting services to European companies and institutions in the space sector. WGS offers its employees the possibility to develop their professional career, in addition WGS is very responsive to any concern and offers competitive conditions that provide answers to the particular needs of each personal situation.