Post Duration: 1-2 years
Reports to: Prof. Fares Howari
Salary: AED 16, 000.00
The Postdoc will work in a project to establish the UAE Space Agency Hyperspectral Laboratory at Zayed University. The lab purpose is to enable its members to offer programs and pursue research opportunities in remote sensing and related disciplines that would be beyond the scope of individual academic departments or individual. The candidate will contribute to develop, manage and maintain the UAE Spectral Library at ZU, Expand the earth and planter sensing program, Support for UAE space community, Develop seminar series, and Continue to support faculty research by in-kind contribution to start-up funds when appropriate and possible.
This is an advanced academic research role, building on your experience as a post-doctoral fellow, where you will conduct a specified programme of research supported by UAE Space Agency under the supervision and direction of a Principal Investigator.
The primary purpose of the role is to develop new or advanced research skills and competences, on the processes of publication in peer-reviewed academic publications and scholarly dissemination, the development of funding proposals, and the supervision and mentorship of graduate & post graduate students along with the opportunity to develop your skills in research led teaching.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish a state-of-the-art Remote Sensing Data Clearing Centre at Zayed University that will support fundamental-, theoretical- and computational research lines in key areas including: space sciences, remote sensing and Mars mission.
- Conduct optical reflectance measurement on mineral samples & plant species of interest for determining their optical constants.
- Analysis of remote sensing data collected over UAE, or through UAE missions elsewhere, and identification and work on tools and associated computing requirements.
- Conduct a specified programme of research and scholarship under the supervision and direction of your Principal Investigator.
- Engage in appropriate training and professional development opportunities as required by your Principal Investigator.
- Support your Principal Investigator and research group in the design and development of the research programme.
- Support if required, the development of proposals for research funding.
- Engage in the dissemination of the results of the research in which you are engaged as directed by and with the support of and under the supervision of your Principal Investigator.
- Engage in the wider research and scholarly activities of your research group and college.
- Take responsibility as requested for day-to-day advice and support of graduate research students associated with your research group.
- Carry out administrative and management work associated with your programme of research.
Selection criteria outline the qualifications, skills, knowledge and/or experience that the successful candidate would need to demonstrate for successful discharge of the responsibilities of the post. Applications will be assessed on the basis of how well candidates satisfy these criteria.
Additional mandatory criteria can be included by the PI as required
- PhD in GIS/Chemistry/Physics/Mathematics/Computer
- 1/2 years research experience in remote sensing.
- Or 5-10 years of research experience in GIS/ Remote sensing.
- Demonstrated understanding of operational requirements for a successful research project and managing resources.
- Through knowledge in ENVI software is MUST. Knowledge in statistical tools is an advantage.
- Knowledge and application of the principles underpinning successful grant application
- Proven ability to identify and fulfil the academic writing requirements for target publications
- Proven record of working with team members and PhD students to help build their research skill and knowledge and to support and guide their professional development
- Generates new ideas and links and builds upon existing ideas to generate unique concepts and solutions.
- Knowledge in software developments.
- Demonstrated understanding of the value of academic and commercial information e.g. Non-disclosure agreements
- Knowledge of IP and copyright processes and knows how to protect findings.
- Good knowledge in laboratory health and safety.
Preference will be given to resident of UAE
Cijo Xavier, firstname.lastname@example.org , Cc; email@example.com