Job no: 0048510
Work type: Continuing
Location: Parkville (Melbourne), Australia
Division/Faculty: Faculty of Science, University of Melbourne
Department/School: School of Earth Sciences
Salary: AUD102,967 - AUD122,268 (Level B)
Role & Superannuation rate: Academic - Full time - 17% superannuation
About the Role
The School of Earth Sciences invites applications from highly qualified and motivated individuals to fill a continuing teaching and research position in the area of Geophysics/ Seismology/Computational Geodynamics. The ideal candidate will use a combination of field and computational methods that complement the School's strengths in paleoclimate science, meteorology, petrology, sedimentology, paleobiology, geochemistry, structural geology and tectonics.. You will undertake independent research, supervise research students, and also teach and administer components of the School's Geology undergraduate and graduate programs.
- A PhD in geophysics, computational science or a related discipline.
- An established track record of high quality publications in leading peer-reviewed international journals, relative to opportunity, in the general areas of geophysics.
- A demonstrated capacity to use geophysical data to simulate Earth systems behaviour, in support of the School's research priorities.
- Evidence of the ability to attract external research funding from national competitive research bodies and other sources, including industry.
- Evidence of the ability to teach undergraduate and/or graduate courses on discipline topics, including seismology, geophysics and geodynamics.
- Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills including the ability to project manage and meet deadlines
To be appointed at Level C you must be able to demonstrate:
- An aptitude for independent research with a strong record of publication, a record of gaining external competitive research grants commensurate with experience and opportunities, and the ability to develop research links with other departments/groups nationally and/or internationally.
- A track record of success in teaching at university level, the ability to teach large undergraduate classes, and the ability to develop and teach relevant discipline subjects at a graduate level.
- A demonstrated ability to provide national leadership in one or more of the School's strategic research goals
Applications close: 14 Jul 2019 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Standard Time
For full position information and to apply online go to: