Avalon, Lower Hutt
GNS Science is New Zealand's premier provider of geoscience research and consultancy and incorporates the Department of Hydrogeology.
The Hydrogeology Department of GNS Science is well recognised in groundwater research and consultancy in New Zealand. The Department conducts hydrogeological investigations at the local, catchment, regional, and national scales, and draws upon in-house multidisciplinary expertise in geology, water quality, numerical modelling, geophysics, water dating and isotope hydrology. GNS Science prides itself on its diversity and encourages self-development, creativity and open debate within a team atmosphere.
GNS Science seeks to appoint a Numerical Groundwater Modeller at the junior to intermediate professional level. Outstanding applicants who have the following skills and experience are encouraged to apply:
- A qualification of a PhD in groundwater modelling or a closely related engineering or scientific field.
- Specific groundwater modelling skills sought include ability to: develop groundwater flow models (including integrated surface water and groundwater models) and coupled nutrient transport models, develop code for linking models and pre-processing input data sets and post processing model outputs, build mathematical models, undertake model parameter and predictive uncertainty analysis, and use the parameter estimation software PEST. GIS skills would also be an advantage.
- Ability to apply geology and hydrogeologic concepts to groundwater research and commercial consultancy problems, in particular in relation to water quality.
- Experience with local, catchment and regional flow system characterisation for resource assessments, groundwater-surface water interactions, aquifer characterisation, and/or water quality assessment.
- Quality scientific publication record and high level of commitment and motivation to performing quality scientific work would be an advantage.
- Experience in personnel and project management, or interest in and potential to take on such responsibilities would be an advantage.
- Experience in marketing and business development with respect to groundwater modelling, or interest in and potential to take on such responsibilities would be an advantage.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to make oral and written scientific reports in English.
To apply for the position, please visit https://careers.sciencenewzealand.org/gns-science/gns-science-jobs and follow the online process.
Closing date: Sunday, 25 February 2018