Location: Llys Afon, Haverfordwest
Post Number: 102963
Contract type: This is a permanent full time position
Grade / Salary: 4 - £24,773 - £28,497
Application closing date: 3 August 2018
Supporting the Flood Risk Analysis team in providing and producing timely and accurate flood risk information that underpins NRWs flood risk work.
This role will work closely with the other flood risk management teams including Asset Systems Management and Flood Incident Management. It will also work in close co-operation with the Operations Delivery teams within Operational Services.
- Setting direction
Support team in providing technical input to all relevant national, regional and area strategies and plans (To include European Flood Risk Regulations and Flood & Water management Act) so that flood defence and environmental issues are incorporated and monitored.
- Delivering results
Key responsibilities in the role include assisting with post flood analysis (identifying size and severity of floods), post flood data collection, Community Risk Register data input, take a lead role within FRM for managing the considerable catalogue of existing data, preparing and maintaining public facing flood maps, dealing with customer enquiries and requests for flood risk management data in accordance with customer charter, identifying & supporting data needs for other FRM teams. Undertaking basic flood modelling work to provide the evidence that underpins key FRM decision making.
- Building relationships
Support internal teams and external stakeholders (LLFAs etc.) to provide a co-ordinated response to flooding from all sources.
- Ensuring effective governance
Discharge elements of NRW Supervisory Duty for Flood Defence matters, so that general enquiries, pre-planning enquiries and searches are dealt with, liaise with developers, local authorities and others on flood defence issues to provide a response that takes into account all technical and environmental matters, negotiating enhancements where appropriate.
- Developing people and teams
Maximise the efficient and effective use of people, in order that all activities and or projects are completed to time, cost and quality targets.
Job Specific Criteria:
- Good knowledge & experience of GIS systems and mapping (ARCGIS or MAPINFO) essential;
- Analyse/interpret evidence to achieve solutions essential
- Basic knowledge of river hydraulics and hydrology desirable
- Basic knowledge of river modelling packages (1D, 1D/2D, etc) desirable
- Good inter-personal skills and able to communicate technical issues, successfully with NRW teams, external consultants and the public essential
- Ability to manage and prioritise own workload essential