We currently have an opportunity for a Consultant or Senior Level Geochemist to join the expanding Geochemistry team in our UK Practice. This opportunity will involve working on a diverse range of international mining projects, from exploration through to closure. Our consultancy environment allows our staff to work in multi-disciplinary teams as well as on more specialised technical projects. The successful candidate will have a detailed knowledge and understanding of environmental geochemistry and water-rock interactions, ideally with previous consultancy experience and exposure to the mining sector.
This position involves working on a range of projects from our UK practice, however overseas and international travel will form a significant part of the role. We are looking for a Consultant or Senior level Geochemist capable of integrating and working within the cohesive unit of the existing UK Geochemistry Team.
SRK consulting (UK) Ltd is an independent, international consulting practice which provides globally integrated consulting services to the international mining and natural resources industry. The SRK Group employs over 1,400 professional consultants internationally and has 45 offices on 6 continents. SRK has been providing its clients with innovative, practical and cost-effective solutions for 40 years and our client base covers a wide range of industries, particularly within the resources and engineering sectors.
SRK Consulting (UK) Ltd, located in Cardiff City Centre is the European arm of the SRK Consulting Group and currently has over 110 employees. SRK Consulting (UK) Ltd is an employee owned company.
The primary role is to act as a Geochemist, providing competent consulting services to support SRK projects and clients as follows:
- Providing Geochemistry services to ensure the successful delivery of projects
- Assisting with the Geochemistry aspects of multi-disciplinary project development studies
- Developing numerical geochemical models and water quality predictions to support project development
- Representing SRK professionally to SRK's clients
Main Technical Responsibilities:
The work involved in undertaking this role may include the following activities, as well as other responsibilities as required:
- Geochemical assessment and numerical predictions associated with mine waste characterisation
- Numerical modelling of processes and recovery in Solution Mining
- Risk assessment of mine waste and/or mine water treatment
- Geochemistry input to Feasibility Studies, Closure Studies, Prefeasibility Studies and Scoping Studies, including:
- Proposal preparation;
- Data QAQC and interpretation;
- Report writing and presentation of results;
- Client liaison; and
- Assisting with project management
- A degree or equivalent in Geochemistry or Geoscience, preferably with a higher degree (MSc or PhD) involving significant aspects of environmental geochemistry and/or hydrogeochemistry
- A good understanding of geochemistry, geology and mineralogy
- Experience within the mining industry including knowledge of mining-related environmental issues
- Excellent report and proposal writing skills requiring strong English language skills (verbal and written)
- Experience using geochemical modelling software packages e.g. PHREEQC, Geochemist's Workbench or GEMS
- Experience in the analysis of large geochemical datasets, including quality control, data interpretation and reporting
- Demonstrate a good understanding and application of health and safety in the laboratory, field and workplace
- Demonstrate excellent attention to detail and critical analysis skills
- Previous experience of undertaking environmental or geochemical monitoring and/or characterisation studies for a variety of natural resource commodities
- Professional registration (or working towards professional registration) with appropriate institutions
- Willingness to travel and undertake overseas fieldwork
- Right to work in the UK
- Ability to communicate and write technical reports in a second language would be an advantage but is not essential
- Some experience in project management, including proposal writing, preparation and management of budgets, etc
- Business development/marketing skills
- Experience with writing research publications and presenting findings to the scientific and business community through conferences, seminars and workshops
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday, (40 hours per week) 9:00-17:30
Status: Permanent contract
Location: SRK UK, Cardiff, Wales. Candidates may be required to work at other locations as required and overseas travel will form a part of the role.
In return for considering a future with us, we offer:
- An attractive compensation package.
- The possibility to publish in internationally recognised scientific journals and attend international conferences.
- Diversity of projects and clients within a consultancy environment.
Opportunity to purchase shares in the company; the SRK Group is an independent group, owned by its employees.