Organizational Unit: United Nations University Institute for Integrated Management of Material Fluxes and of Resources (UNU-FLORES)
Reference Number: 2017/UNU/FLORES/CTC/CON/57
Applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 20 August 2017
Contract Duration: 2 months
United Nations University Objectives:
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars, engaged in research, postgraduate teaching and capacity development and dissemination of knowledge in furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States. For more information, please visit http://unu.edu.
United Nations University Institute for Integrated Management of Material Fluxes and of Resources (UNU-FLORES):
The mission of UNU-FLORES is to contribute, through research, capacity development and dissemination of knowledge, to the resolution of pressing challenges in the area of sustainable use and integrated management of environmental resources (water, soil and waste), particularly in developing and transitional countries. It aims to serve within the UN as the think-tank on resources management and be internationally recognized as major hub and intellectual focal point promoting integrated management strategies addressing in particular the needs of developing and emerging countries. The Institute is located in Dresden, Federal Republic of Germany. For more information please visit http://flores.unu.edu.
Systems and Flux Analysis considering Global Change Assessment:
The Systems and Flux Analysis Considering Global Change Assessment Unit promotes interdisciplinary research on material fluxes and the cycling of the environmental resources - water, soil, and waste. The quantitative analysis of resources´ quantities, qualities and material flow is an integral dimension of applying a Nexus Approach and a prerequisite for the sustainable management of these resources under conditions of global change.
The Unit plays a central role in integrative data analysis, making use of systematic monitoring approaches at various spatial scales, including station data and earth observation techniques. It also works on and with integrative modelling tools for systems understanding and assessing and predicting impacts of climate change. The integration of the Unit into the overall research strategy of UNU-FLORES facilitates and fosters the implementation of research results into management plans and governance.
Under the authority of the Director of UNU-FLORES and the direct supervision of Academic Officers for Systems and Flux Analysis, the successful candidate will be entrusted with the following tasks:
- Update and extend an existing online database on modelling tools for integrated resources management in terms of content and functionality
- Develop/maintain links to external host of the database and ensure proper configuration and implementation of respective files
- Transfer collected data into appropriate format (JSON) for the online database
- Explore implementation of new features of the online database
- Other UNU-FLORES related tasks as appropriate.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Degree in an IT-related area or in engineering/natural sciences area;
- Working experience related to developing online databases;
- Experienced user of relevant languages (e.g. java, python, R) and data formats (e.g. JSON);
- Experience in relevant data base tools, e.g. Lucene, Elasticsearch, Kibana, R;
- Experience in html coding;
- Good team player with strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment;
- Highly self-motivated and organized;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; Knowledge of German will be an asset.
- Detail oriented, with a professional and conscientious attitude;
- Ability to independently prioritize.
Applications from suitably qualified women candidates are particularly encouraged
Remuneration will commensurate with qualification and experience of the successful candidate.
Duration of Contract:
The successful candidate shall work remotely under the Consultant Contract (CTC) for a fixed period of two (2) months for the above-mentioned project. No consultant shall provide services for more than twenty-four (24) months in a thirty-six (36)-month period.
The successful candidate will not hold international civil servant status nor be a "staff member" as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations. Applications from suitably qualified woman candidates and those from developing countries are particularly encouraged.
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Interested applicants should submit their applications by email (to email@example.com), and must include the following:
- a cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position;
- a curriculum vitae and a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) form downloadable from the UNU website. Please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations;
- the email and the application must also indicate the reference number of the vacancy announcement 2017/UNU/FLORES/CTC/CON/57