The Max Planck Institute for Meteorology (MPI-M) is a multidisciplinary center for climate and Earth
system research located in Hamburg, Germany. It is one of the premier climate science research
institutes in the world. Located in the heart of one of Europe’s most livable and vibrant cities, it provides
a highly international and interdisciplinary environment to conduct scientific research as well as access
to state-of-the-art scientific facilities. You can also have a virtual tour to our campus.
The MPI-M is looking for an exceptionally talented early-career researcher as the
in any area covering the interaction of the ocean with other elements of the climate system. The group
will be affiliated with the department Climate Variability, but its research direction will be determined by
the group head alone.
- Developing and executing an original research program, the ambition of which is commensurate with the envisioned group size
- Supervising doctoral and postdoctoral scholars, as well as research students if the opportunity arises
The eligibility criteria and the level of funding will be similar to those of the Emmy Noether Programme
of the German Research Foundation (DFG), namely:
- Applications are expected from individuals normally no more than four years after obtaining their PhD
- Funding period will be six years
- Additional funding will be provided for one postdoctoral fellow and two doctoral candidates
- Funding for other direct costs, such as travel and consumables
- Access to the extensive computing resources of MPI-M
- Access to the extensive training facilities of the Max Planck Society
- A PhD in climate s cience, meteorology, oceanography, physics, or a related area
- Demonstrated capability to publish top-quality research papers
- Intellectual independence
- Willingness and expected ability to guide young scholars
- A network of very experienced and innovative colleagues within the institute, excellent opportunities for further (self-)training and development, self-organized and/or in external courses and events, including supervisory experience
- Very good opportunities for self-realization, including the ability to influence the direction and execution of research
- Access to complex workflows on the bleeding edge of what is technologically possible, as well as working for and with an open-source community
- Participation in a challenging part of science in an international, intellectually stimulating environment
- Possibility for flexible time management and measures to support work-life balance
- Attractive subsidy for job ticket in Hamburg (Deutschlandticket)
- The position is offered for six years, starting as soon as possible.
- Payment will be in accordance with German public service positions (E 15 TVöD), including extensive social security plans. The conditions of employment, including upgrades and duration, follow the rules of the Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Sciences and those of the German civil
- The Max Planck Society strives for gender and diversity equality. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds.
- The Max Planck Society is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals.
The selection criteria will value the qualifications, the experience, and the ability of the candidates to
fulfill the responsibilities of the opening as outlined above.
Applications received before November 30th, 2023 will receive full consideration. If the position is not
filled, this vacancy announcement will be re-published indicating a second cut-off date.
Interviews are expected in calendar week 49–50 (December 2023).
The application documents should include:
- A cover letter
- A statement of accomplishments and a research plan where you also explain how you will make use of the unique resources of the institute; both documents together should not exceed five pages in a reasonable font size
- A detailed curriculum vitae
- The names, addresses, and telephone numbers of two references
For further information, please contact Professor Jochem Marotzke. Do not forward your application
to this e-mail address, the application needs to be submitted through the online webtool.