Coillte is seeking to hire a data scientist with experience in statistical modelling and/or statistically motivated machine learning to model climate change impacts on its forest estate and the forest carbon cycle. This role will support the Forest Planning team in the delivery of evidence-based research related to forest management, carbon optimisation modelling and data analysis of forest and environmental datasets.
It will support Coillte Forest in modelling the forest carbon cycle within Coillte's estate and balancing the trade-offs between multiple forest objectives. In addition, this role will work with the Forest Planning team to support the development of robust reporting tools for carbon assessments.
Terms and Conditions
Contract: 2 Year Fixed Term Contract
Reports to: Inventory & Resource Information Lead
Location: Limerick (or by agreement)
Information and Analysis
- Utilise a wide range of geospatial datasets including climate modelling data to analyse future climate trends.
- Evaluate forest inventories and sampling designs for the estimation of carbon and related forest inventory analysis.
- Develop workflows that can leverage on disparate datasets to combine geospatial data, growth and yield information and modelling tools to quantify forest carbon.
- Contribute to the development of Coillte's expertise in working with large geospatial forest and environmental datasets.
- Develop and maintain a network of technical experts in the fields of data science/statistics through collaborations with universities and relevant agencies. Build strong relationships with key agencies in Ireland and abroad to ensure Coillte can benefit from the latest developments.
People, Leadership, Organisation and Culture
- Actively contribute to a culture of high performance in the team with high motivation levels.
- Simplify business processes to reduce complexity for our customers and allow our people to do their best work.
- Provide critical thinking and guidance in forest inventory and wider forest resource-related information.
- Actively support the promotion and prioritisation of a safe working environment for our people, our contractors and customers in our forest estate.
- Develop strong collaboration within the Forest Planning team along with the wider Strategic Land-Use and Strategy Implementation teams.
- Act as a visible role model for the Group's values.
- Resilience: Proven ability and track record in working in a fast paced and dynamic work environment.
- Problem-Solving: Proactive in identifying emerging issues and addressing them promptly by working on own initiative with proven capability and effectiveness in problem solving.
- Analytical: Exceptional and demonstrable analytical skills.
- Discretion: Personal credibility and a proven ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality.
- Organised: Ability to achieve deadlines when required and to effectively prioritise between competing demands with exceptional organisation skills.
- Collaboration: Excellent interpersonal skills to build effective relationships with colleagues, stakeholders and peers.
- Report Writing: Strong report writing skills and an ability to present information clearly and concisely.
- Time Management: Efficient management of time and resources.
Desired Technical/Professional Competencies:
- Education and Experience: Relevant qualification in statistical analysis, data science and analysis, or related disciplines with an emphasis on quantitative skills, to HETAC Level 8. Previous experience with carbon modelling and data formats such as netcdf would be a distinct advantage.
- Modelling: 2-3 years PQE in data analysis, processing and reporting. Experience with geospatial datasets and/or spatial modelling an advantage.
- Computer programming: 2-3 years PQE in numerical programming and scripting highly desirable. Experience in Python or R essential.
- Regulatory Compliance: Broad knowledge of climate change science and climate change policy an advantage.
Closing date for applications is 4pm Friday, 19 January 2024. For further details, please visit https://www.coillte.ie/current-vacancies/data-scientist/