GAF AG is a globally operating company and creating sustainable geoinformation solutions is our passion – from data enhancement and mapping to individual consulting. With our geographical data, information systems and geospatial IT solutions, we support urban development and mobility, human safety and protection, food security and agriculture, mining, geology, forestry as well as the sustainable use of natural resources and efforts to combat climate change.
The GAF team counts over 230 people with a wide-range of expertise from software development, geology, forestry, remote sensing, space science, Earth Observation (EO), meteorology, agriculture, virtual reality, data science and machine learning/artificial intelligence, human resources, marketing and project management.
The Forest and Climate Change Unit at GAF AG has been involved in the past 15 years with the application of Earth Observation and spatial analytical tools to resolve forest monitoring challenges globally. Our work focusses on supporting countries implement improved forest management, forest and biodiversity restoration and improving the livelihoods of communities. By doing so we are also supporting countries fulfill their obligations to reducing GHG emissions as part of the Paris Agreement in the forest and land use domain.
To help achieve our goals and activities, we are looking for an experienced
(Senior) Project Co-ordinator/Manager in the Field of Forest and Climate Change
who will be able to undertake the management of forest and land use projects in the framework of different international policy segments/UN Conventions with different clients who require urgent and innovative EO solutions for forest monitoring. An essential component of your work will be to understand the client requirements and translate them into feasible, cost-effective technical solutions. The projects are large volume budgets and are implemented with international Consortium Partners which include both Service Providers and R&D community. Thus addressing client needs, collaboration with clients and external partners as well as team work with the in-house resources at GAF will be essential for performing well.
The success of the team will hinge on your ability to foster an understanding at all levels on the focus of the work,
the requirements of the client and meeting targets in a timely quality assured manner.
Some of your responsibilities will include
- Implementing Earth Observation product-oriented projects, related to REDD+, Sustainable Forest Management, Land Use and Natural Resources Management. Including planning, implementation and control of the project goals and delivering work packages
- Translating client requirements into technical workflows and processes in close collaboration with the Technology Manager and manage technical Teams for implementation
- Balancing and prioritising resources to ensure scope, budget and time are controlled
- Ensuring compliance with both GAF and client required quality guidelines, standards, processes
- Communication with clients via training workshops, seminars, presentations, meetings and high-quality
- Supporting Head of Unit in business development activities including winning new client projects and
- proposal writing
- Researching and undertaking policy analysis on programmatic and international and national policy issues related to REDD+, Zero Deforestation, and Sustainable Forest Management (SFM)
- Implementing business development activities by reviewing specific projects or investment opportunities within the Tropical Forest, REDD+ and Land Use Programmes, providing supporting in proposal writing and communication with consortium partners
- The (Senior) Project Co-ordinator/Manager will report to the Head of the Forest Unit
Specific Project Management Skills
- You will have knowledge of the principles, methods, or tools for developing, scheduling, coordinating, and managing projects and resources, including monitoring and inspecting costs, work, and contractor performance
- You will be an experienced Project Manager having successfully delivered complex solutions in the EO based
- tropical forest management domain
- You will have demonstrated experience and achievements in organizational, financial and personnel management for large volume/complex projects
- You will have managed teams and have an ability to proactively manage individual strengths and weaknesses (including one's own) and understand how these influence the team's performance
Required skills and experience
- An advanced university degree (Masters required or Ph.D preferred) in forestry and remote sensing,
- environmental science, natural resources management, or related discipline
- Minimum of 10 years of professional working experience relating to forest management and remote sensing, land use and natural resources management programme implementation including at least 5 years at the international level is required
- Professional competence and mastery of subject matter in the area of EO applications for improved tropical forest management; REDD+ Reporting; SFM; UNFCCC and Paris Agreement as well as IPCC Guidelines
- Excellent knowledge of GIS/remote sensing/image processing software, and cloud environments; also be highly experienced in standard business software such as MS Office
- Experience in providing consultancies/technical advice and/or conducting projects for/to Multi-Lateral/ Development Banks, national donors, developing countries, international organisations such as UN, CIFOR etc. and with European client's such as EU, ESA, and EEA
- Evidence of excellent writing and presentation skills in English
- Fluency in Spanish and/or French would be an added advantage
The (Senior) Project Co-ordinator/Manager will be based in Munich and is expected to conduct travel to national
and international clients as required.
Your CV to this job advertisement should make references to each of the required skills and experiences.
CVs that do not meet this requirement will not be considered for the application.
About our Benefits
- A job in one of Europe's leading geo-service companies
- Variety instead of everyday routine in exciting geo-information projects
- A friendly and respectful working atmosphere in an international, interdisciplinary team
- Working cross-functional with other teams according to agile principles
- Optional corporate pension, travel health insurance world wide
- Operational health management
Would you like to work with us?
If you are interested in this career opportunity, please send your meaningful application (cover letter, CV and ancillary documents within one PDF file only (max. 10MB)) along with an indication of your salary expectations (gross) as well as your earliest entry date to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please use the keyword "(Senior) Project Co-ordinator/Manager in the Field of Forest and Climate Change"
in the header of your e-mail.
Ms Olivia Deuter
Tel.: +49 (0) 89 12 15 28-0
Arnulfstr. 199 - 80634 Munich