States: Centre-Val de Loire Districts Loiret (45)
Category: F13 Hydrogeology - Scientific expert
Job title: Director of the scientific programme: Groundwater management (Co-Director of the OneWater PEPR)
Contract: Permanent contract
Contractual hours: Full-time
Joining the French Geological Survey (BRGM) means becoming part of France's leading public institution for Earth Science applications bringing together 1,000 wholeheartedly committed experts across 29 bases in Mainland and Overseas France. BRGM focuses on enhancing geological knowledge and understanding of surface and sub-surface-related phenomena, with a view to: meeting the challenges of environmental changes through innovative projects with societal implications.
Operational roll-out of BRGM's scientific strategy is based on the implementation of eight scientific programmes which structurally underpin this strategy. The aim is both to most effectively plan our research activities around jointly discussed, clearly defined priorities and to ensure the consistency and synergy between our research, expertise and public policy support activities in France and abroad.
Reporting to Senior Management, the scientific programme directors come under the supervisory authority of the Scientific Director. This position groups together both the responsibilities of the internal scientific programme director at BRGM and the Co-Director of the OneWater "Priority Research Programme and Equipment" (PEPR), in partnership with the CNRS and INRAE. The GESTEAU scientific programme scope is described in BRGM's scientific strategy (https://www.brgm.fr/fr/identite/strategie).
Leading the GESTEAU programme at BRGM:
- Outlining the scientific strategy of the programme (key issues, challenges, barriers, etc.) to effectively address the societal challenges that come under BRGM's remit, defining the research priorities and planning the research & development activities within the programme scope. Developing the partnership strategy in their sector;
- Managing the programme with the support of a governance involving a programme steering committee chaired by the Scientific Director and a scientific advisory committee made up of internal and external experts;
- Outlining, to the programme's steering committee, the priority research and expertise work to carry out using own funds;
- Developing cross-cutting scientific coordination and ensuring consistency between research, public policy support and expertise projects at international level;
- Overseeing the monitoring and scientific assessment of the programme and reporting to Senior Management and the scientific committee of BRGM. Co-Management of the OneWater PEPR:
- Contributing to the co-management of the PEPR with the two CNRS and INRAE Co-Directors and co-leading the programme's governing bodies;
- Coordinating BRGM's tasks in the programme's governance as regards facilitation and scientific communication, scientific monitoring of the projects, and management of calls for proposals.
You have a PhD and, if possible, an accreditation to supervise research (HDR), as well as at least 15 years of experience in R&D, with research management experience, marked by national and/or international recognition in your area of expertise.
- High-level scientific and/or technical knowledge, recognised nationally or internationally in the water management fields (primarily the global water cycle with knowledge of the procedures and stakeholders of the domestic cycle), its current governance in France, and expected impacts of climate change. The candidate is expected to be able to contribute actively to internal brainstorming at BRGM on feasible solutions for anticipating and adapting to the consequences of climate change, from both a technical and societal point of view (development of governance)
- Firmly established national and international network in the programme's themes
- Good experience in the scientific monitoring of complex projects and/or programmes (e.g.: H2020), European/international research infrastructure
- Strong strategic analysis skills for defining a relevant programme road map and
- strengthening the positioning and expertise of BRGM
- Ability to grasp research questions and transfer them to economic stakeholders, public authorities and businesses
- Ability to grasp multi- and interdisciplinary challenges and areas, with demonstrated ability to correctly factor in the economic and societal dimensions alongside the geosciences and "hard" sciences
- Ability to analyse and gain perspective on strategic issues over the medium- and long-term
- Good interpersonal skills to be able to interact with BRGM's various partners and professions
- Fluent English
- Solid leadership skills
- Ability to set a collective momentum in motion (coordination, collective intelligence, impartiality)
- Confident scientific and technical leadership skills
- Ability to listen
- Ability to make decisions
- Concise mindset
- Acknowledged communication skills
- Ability to represent the programme in national and international bodies as well as internally
- Writing skills
This position is full-time and may involve regular travel in France and abroad.
Within an environment that promotes a healthy work/life balance, particularly thanks to remote working, BRGM prides itself on providing a friendly and caring place to work.
Awarded HRS4R certification in 2021, we are committed to supporting you throughout your career at BRGM.
We provide you with a range of tools for developing your skills and expertise, with scope for career progression and geographic mobility.
At BRGM, you will gain from such benefits as a 13th month salary, days off compensating for unpaid overtime, meal vouchers, holiday and leisure options.
At BRGM, you are guaranteed a transparent recruitment process. To apply, please send us your application (up-to-date CV and cover letter) by 01/09/2023.
Because diversity matters to us at BRGM, all of our job vacancies are open to everyone!
We will examine your application as soon as the closing date has passed. If your application is short-listed, we will contact you for recruitment interviews during which you will have the opportunity to talk with the recruitment and HR departments as well as a cross-functional department.