At the University of Göttingen -Public Law Foundation-, Fakultät für Geowissenschaften und Geographie, there is a
Postdoctoral position (all genders welcome)
Salary level 13 TV-L/100%
to be filled. Starting date is as soon as possible. The position is limited to 3 years (36 months).
In the Department of Mineralogy/Petrology at the Geosciences Centre we are looking for a highly motivated candidate for the DFG-funded project "CO2 diffusion and degassing in volcanic melts", in which CO2 diffusion in mafic and intermediate melts will be experimentally investigated. A special focus is on the influence of H2O on CO2 diffusion. Another goal of the project is to investigate bubble nucleation and growth in CO2-containing melts using decompression experiments.
- Research in the field of experimental petrology/volcanology.
- Development and execution of high-pressure high-temperature experiments in an internally heated gas pressure vessel (IHPV) to investigate CO2 diffusion and decompression-induced CO2 degassing.
- Analysis and evaluation of experimental samples using carbon analyzer, micro-FTIR and Raman spectroscopy as well as scanning electron microscopy and electron microprobe.
- Preparation of samples for experiments and analysis.
- Computer-based analysis and modelling of experimental diffusion and degassing data.
- Applicants should have a master and doctoral degree in Geosciences, Physics, Chemistry or in a related field at the time of the appointment.
- Extensive experience in high pressure / high temperature experiments and sample preparation.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work independently are expected.
- Good command of written and spoken English is required.
- German language skills are not a requirement but willingness to learn would be desirable.
If you have any questions, please contact
Dr. Burkhard Schmidt (he)
Geosciences Centre, Department of Mineralogy/Petrology Phone +49-551-39 19900,
The University of Göttingen is an equal opportunities employer and places particular emphasis on fostering career opportunities for women. Qualified women are therefore strongly encouraged to apply in fields in which they are underrepresented. The university has committed itself to being a family-friendly institution and supports their employees in balancing work and family life. The University is particularly committed to the professional participation of severely disabled employees and therefore welcomes applications from severely disabled people. In the case of equal qualifications, applications from people with severe disabilities will be given preference. A disability or equality is to be included in the application in order to protect the interests of the applicant.
Please upload your application in one pdf file including the usual documents until 10/18/2023 on the application portal of the university using this link: http://obp.uni-goettingen.de/de-de/OBF/Index/74210. For more information get in touch with Burkhard Schmidt directly via E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel. +49 551 3919900.
With submission of your application, you accept the processing of your applicant data in terms of data-protection law. Further information on the legal basis and data usage is provided in the Information General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).