Salary: £29,033.13 - £30,933.48 depending on experience
Hours: Full time, 37.5h/week
Locations: Yorkshire & North (Cleckheaton), South & East (Silsoe)
Contract Type: Permanent
Closing Date: 5pm on 30th June 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we may fill existing vacancies before the closing date, so you are advised to submit your application as early as possible.
Why Should You Apply?
We are a privately owned archaeological business, part of the RSK Group, a leader in integrated environmental, engineering, and technical services. We provide heritage services to the development and construction sectors in UK and across the world. With four offices in England and one in Scotland, we offer our employees:
- Unique knowledge and expertise. For more than 20 years, Headland has provided not only business-focused archaeology but also people-focused business. We are highly respected within our industry for our achievements in innovation, tailor-made development coaching and training, and our expertise in commercial archaeology.
- Strong pioneering spirit. Our corporate culture is characterised by a healthy appetite for originality and development.
- Stable company with excellent growth. Over the years, we have demonstrated steady, positive economic development and formed successful partnerships.
- Good work environment. You will be surrounded by colleagues who are pleasant, professional, and enthusiastic about their work.
- Opportunity to influence. You get to work in an open climate, close to decision makers and with the possibility of making a difference.
- Part of RSK group. You will have further opportunities to become involved in nationally and internationally prominent projects with exciting prospects for career development. The group has c.6000 employees and c.105 environmentally lead companies.
We are looking for candidates who are self driven with a positive outlook and good understanding of archaeological geophysics and British archaeology. You will be very experienced in running geophysical surveys and capable of overseeing a number of projects in the field and in the processing and reporting phases at the same time. You will be a good team worker who can promote new ideas and new ways of working, and motivate your teams to deliver projects to programme and to budget.
The position will involve the day to day management of survey teams on both small and large-scale projects and providing input to the project management team in the preparation of tenders and the running of office-based projects. You will be expected to use your experience to advise clients and to support colleagues as projects progress.
As a commercial company there is plenty of scope to utilise existing skills, discover new ones and develop your strengths. You will encounter numerous opportunities for personal development and promotion and RSK provides a wealth of opportunity to broaden the range and nature of the experience enjoyed by our staff.
You must have the following essential criteria:
- A minimum of 5 years experience in British commercial archaeological geophysics
- A desire to lead, develop and learn
- A thorough understanding of the theoretical background underpinning the commonest archaeological geophysical techniques
- A sound knowledge of the principles of operation of the most frequently used geophysical survey equipment
- Experience of sole responsibility for geophysical survey projects of significant scale including survey logistics, data quality control, post-processing and reporting.
- An ability to support managers in their duties and assist with overseeing projects, producing paperwork and providing input to tenders
- Experience and understanding of all current UK guidance and standards for geophysical survey
- An understanding of UK commercial archaeology, planning legislation and the role of geophysics in the planning process
- A full clean UK driving licence and willingness to drive company vehicles
- A willingness to travel, work on projects across the UK and when required stay on site and/or occasionally work weekends on geographically distant projects
- Degree level education or higher in a relevant subject
- A demonstrable portfolio of reports
- Excellent organisational skills
- Experience in the use of TerraSurveyor and/or other commercially available survey processing and graphics packages
- Ability to use own initiative to achieve targets
- Valid CSCS card
A publication track-record, SSSTS/SMSTS and CIfA membership are desirable criteria.
Benefits we offer you:
- Leadership and management training and workshops
- SMSTS training where required
- Constant H&S training
- 28 days annual leave, rising based on service length
- Extra annual leave purchase scheme
- 5%-6% employer contribution to pension scheme
- Annual profit discretionary bonus & performance-related bonus schemes
- Income Protection Policy, after a year with Headland
- Employee Assistance Programme (advice on finance, mental health etc)
- Paid CIfA membership, CSCS card
- Relocation package
- Monthly clothing allowance
- Health support scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Referral Scheme
- Regular offers through RSK Group (e.g. Tastecard, Gym discount , Holidays and Entertainment)
How to apply
You must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions. Proof of eligibility will be required prior to your commencement.
Send CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting SARCHG21 Postal applications will not be accepted. Informal inquiries concerning the role can be made to Alistair Webb (email@example.com)
Headland is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
COVID19: We have wide-ranging COVID-19 plans in place and are following all current official guidance on maintaining a safe working environment during COVID19. We are in constant communication with our clients to ensure all staff can continue to work and operate safely while travelling and working on site and/or in the offices. All inductions include a comprehensive COVID19 brief, and all projects have a daily H&S COVID19 update.