Job Reference Number: 22-PR-4
Posting/Closing Date: June 9, 2022 to August 7, 2022
Workplace: All buildings
Department or Service: Department of Civil, Geological and Mining Engineering
Polytechnique Montréal is an internationally recognized engineering university. Located in the heart of Montréal on Mount Royal, it is renowned for the high quality of the training offered at all levels, and for its multidisciplinary and multisectoral research, at the forefront of the local, national and international engineering.
Approaching its 150th anniversary, it now welcomes close to 10,000 students and relies on the expertise of nearly 1,600 staff members with diverse skills, including more than 300 professors.
Polytechnique has been certified Gold by the STARS organization. Polytechnique is known for its innovative approach, and its active role in technological, economic, and social development. It values the diversity of its employees and adheres to an equal employment opportunity program for women, visible and ethnic minorities, Indigenous people and those with disabilities. Having received the Parity Certification from Women in Governance, it offers excellent working conditions, focusing on work-life balance and the well-being of its employees.
Polytechnique Montréal's Department of Civil, Geological and Mining Engineering hosts around 1,200 students, of whom a third are women and 400 are graduate students. With 45 professors and three full-time lecturers, including 13 women, the Department is a Canadian research leader in several sectors, such as transportation planning, structural and earthquake engineering, mining waste management, hydraulics, and drinking water and wastewater treatment. The Department also hosts several chairs and research groups, notably the MADITUC group (transportation), the Geothermal and Hydrogeology Group, CREDEAU (water management), the NSERC Industrial Chair on Drinking Water, the Canada Research Chair in Modelling Complex Hydro-Environmental Systems, the Canada Research Chair in Numerical Modelling and Experimental Simulation in Earthquake Engineering, the Canada Research Chair on Personal Mobility, and the MOBILITÉ Research Chair on the Evaluation and Implementation of Sustainability in Transportation. The Department is a partner of the Research Institute on Mines and the Environment - RIME UQAT - Polytechnique.
The Department of Civil, Geological and Mining Engineering is looking for a person who has a particular interest in geostatistics as applied to one or more of the following specialties, but not limited to:
- Mineral resource assessment
- Numerical modelling
- Machine learning or deep learning
The candidate specializes in one or several of the aforementioned areas, and their research program uses both an experimental and/or modelling approach and in-situ investigation. Finally, the candidate should have an interest in developing interdisciplinary collaborations within and outside the Department of Civil, Geological and Mining Engineering.
The successful candidate will carry out the responsibilities of this position with dynamism and creativity. Among other duties, they will:
- Demonstrate a commitment to excellence in teaching at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels;
- Supervise undergraduate, graduate and doctoral students;
- Carry out innovative research projects;
- Obtain grants and contracts aimed at supporting research work with the aim of training highly qualified personnel;
- Publish the scientific results of this research;
- Participate in the department's teaching and research activities;
- Collaborate with other research teams at Polytechnique Montréal or other institutions;
- Contribute to enhancing Polytechnique Montréal's visibility and influence in Québec and internationally.
PROFILE AND JOB REQUIREMENTS
The candidate will meet the following requirements:
- Hold a PhD in engineering or equivalent in a relevant field;
- Have a proven track record of developing and conducting an independent research program that will enable them to obtain funding to supervise graduate students;
- Demonstrate excellent teaching skills, if possible supported by teaching evaluations;
- Be able to contribute positively to the department's working environment and adhere to Polytechnique's values of excellence, creativity, integrity, collaboration, respect and openness;
- Be a member of the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ) or take the necessary steps to become a member before submitting their tenure file;
- Have a sufficient command of oral and written French before submitting their tenure file, since French is the language of instruction at Polytechnique Montréal.
Polytechnique Montréal will provide the candidate with the necessary assistance and support to register with the OIQ and to learn French.
Applicants with a bachelor's degree in engineering or with industry experience are encouraged to include this in their application.
ADVANTAGES OF WORKING AT POLYTECHNIQUE MONTRÉAL
This position is tenure-track.
Salary and benefits are determined in accordance with the provisions of the collective agreement in effect. This agreement provides for, among others:
- Provisions for work-family balance, such as maternity, paternity and adoption leave, in addition to the Québec Parental Insurance Plan;
- The possibility of benefiting from paid respite periods;
- A defined-benefits pension plan
In addition, relocation and immigration support is available to the successful candidate and their family.
To learn more about Polytechnique Montréal and the benefits of contributing to its mission, please explore: Avantages et milieu de vie.
As soon as possible.
Candidates are invited to submit an application file that includes:
- A cover letter
- A CV
- A statement of main achievements and teaching philosophy
- A statement of major research achievements and prospects
- Proof of university degrees
- Up to three significant contributions related to the position
- Teaching evaluations, if available
For more information about this position, please contact:
Professor Richard Simon, Eng., PhD
Department of Civil, Geological and Mining Engineering
Case postale 6079, succursale Centre-ville
Montréal (Québec) H3C 3A7
We encourage all qualified applicants to apply. In accordance with immigration rules, priority will be given to Canadians and permanent residents.