The Isotope Geochemistry Group, University of Tübingen, Germany, seeks motivated applicants for a post-doctoral research assistant position (100%) for 3 years with an extension for another 3 years upon positive evaluation.
- PhD in Geosciences or a related field
- Scientific and analytical experience (MC-ICP-MS) with non-traditional stable isotope systems (e.g. Cr, Fe, Zn, Se, Mo etc.)
- Experience with elemental ICP-MS or TIMS is regarded beneficial, but not conditional
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Experience with writing and publishing scientific results in internationally recognized peer-reviewed journals
- Develop your own research projects with financial support from funding agencies (e.g. the German Research Council - DFG)
- Supervise your own PhD students in funded projects
- Interact with other group members and engage in group activities
- Partaking in the diverse scientific projects of the Isotope Geochemistry Group in Tübingen, (e.g. redox-evolution evolution of Earth's early atmosphere and oceans, elemental and stable isotopic cycling in igneous terrestrial reservoirs) is welcome
- Contribute to teaching
- Contribute to the supervision of BSc and MSc students
What we offer:
- Vibrant international work environment within one of the largest Geoscience Departments in Germany, housed in the new >10'000 m2 science building "Center for Geo-and Environmental Sciences"
- State-of-the-Art clean laboratories and analytical instruments (Thermo NeptunePlus MC-ICP-MS, Thermo iCAP-Qc ICP-MS, Agilent 5800 ICP-OES, Resonetics M-50 excimer laser system)
- Thermo Delta+ Gas-IR-MS for HCNOS measurements; a refurbished MAT 262 TIMS for radiogenic isotope determinations; a Bruker AXS S4 Pioneer XRF for major element analyses
- Instrument maintenance mainly done by technical support staff
- Access to further instruments (e.g. JEOL JXA-8230 electron microprobe, Raman and IR spectroscopy, XRD instruments) is possible within the Center for Geo- and Environmental Sciences.
The position commences on September 1st 2023, but a later start is negotiable. Salary and benefits are commensurate with the German employee scale TV-L E13-100% (see link https://oeffentlicher-dienst.info/tv-l/allg/). In case of equal qualification and experience physically challenged applicants are given preference.
Interested candidates should send a detailed CV with a list of publications, copies of certificates, statement of research interests and contact details of 2 potential referees as well as a motivation letter for this position including research goals for the next 5 years to the E-Mail address given below. Application reviewing starts on May 15th 2023 and continues until the position is filled.
Prof. Dr. R. Schönberg
Chair of Isotope Geochemistry
University of Tübingen
Phone: +49 7071 29-78903