The Department of Geosciences at the Universidad de Los Andes in Bogotá, Colombia, invites applications for tenure-track faculty and postdoctoral positions in the following areas:
- Environmental Geosciences (including Global Environmental Change, Paleoclimate, Environmental Geochemistry, Biogeochemistry, Edaphology, Pedology, etc.). Applicants are expected to be capable of teaching compulsory theoretical and practical Undergraduate courses in Environmental Geochemistry and Exogenic Processes.
- Geomorphology, Surface Processes and Geomatics (including global navigation satellite systems, remote sensing, GIS, geodesy, mapping, landscape monitoring, mass movement/flooding modelling and/or related hazards). Applicants are expected to be capable of teaching Undergraduate in Remote Sensing, Exogenic Processes and Global Satellite Navigation Systems.
It is anticipated that tenure-track appointments will be made at the Assistant Professor level, whereas postdoctoral positions are one-year long and can be potentially renewed for a second year.
Applicants are required to have a Ph.D. in Earth Sciences awarded before the start of the appointment and should exhibit clear research and teaching potential based on a peer-reviewed publication record and teaching experience. The teaching load will be three to six hours per week, including the introductory course of Geosciences, which is oriented to a wide public (undergraduate students of Sciences, Engineering, Architecture and Design). Successful candidates should be able to teach in Spanish or English. Fluency in Spanish language is preferred but not compulsory. However, successful candidates are expected to rapidly develop communication and teaching skills in Spanish. The successful candidates are expected to be dedicated to high-quality and innovative undergraduate teaching, including challenge-oriented, problem-based or project-oriented courses open to wide multidisciplinary publics. Applicants are also expected to supervise undergraduate student research, professional internships and practices, and provide individual academic counselling to students.
Applicants willing to be considered as Assistant Professor should be able to create pertinent introductory courses open to the general public in hot topics of Earth Sciences (e.g., Global Environmental Change, Hydrometeorological hazards, Environment and Sustainability, etc.) and advanced elective disciplinary courses (e.g., Paleoclimate, Biogeochemistry, Edaphology/Pedology, Hydrogeology, Quaternary Geomorphology, Landscape change monitoring, Advanced Geodesy, Computational Geosciences/Geoinformatics). In addition, the successful candidates are expected to develop an externally-funded research program, and to contribute to the development plans of the department, the Faculty of Sciences, and the University of Los Andes.
The preferred starting date is mid-January 2024. To receive full consideration, complete applications must be submitted as a single pdf by or before midnight Colombian time on the 30th September 2023, to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following documents in the following order.
- A motivation letter with the contact details of two potential referees, including one or more current faculty members who have served as mentor
- Curriculum Vitae with a list of publications and taught courses.
- Teaching statement (including teaching experience and approach)
- A research statement focusing on quantifying surface processes and the links to current staff members
- Copies of relevant certificates
Any application that lacks one of the missing documents won't be considered.
Pre-submission enquiries regarding the positions may be addressed to the Department Director and Chair of the Geosciences Search Committee, Dr Natalia Pardo, at email@example.com
A short-list of pre-selected candidates will be contacted to conduct a series of interviews at the end of October and throughout November, one of which will focus on competency assessment and will be accompanied by Human Resources.
Universidad de los Andes is a private nonsectarian university located in the historic center of Bogotá, Colombia, and is consistently ranked among the top ten universities in Latin America. For more information on Universidad de Los Andes, please follow this link: https://uniandes.edu.co/en
Our Department offers an interdisciplinary undergraduate program in Geosciences with a strong component in mathematics and physics, computer programming and geophysics, with basics of environmental geochemistry, paleontology, geology and remote sensing. Elective tracks include georesources, environmental geosciences, geohazards and geoheritage. We hold analytical capabilities with XRF, XRD, ICP-MS, a ATMOS MLN0010-CBLT Marlyn Drone with a multispectral camera MicaSense RedEdge-MX, a DJI PHANTOM GL300C, a portable CREAFORM 3D Scanner, and a close relationship with other laboratories of Geomatics and Chemistry in the University.
More information about the Department can be found at http://geociencias.uniandes.edu.co.
The faculty handbook can be found at: