The climate needs bright minds. The Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK) addresses crucial scientific questions in the fields of global change, climate impacts and sustainable development. It is one of the world's leading research institutions in its field and offers natural and social scientists from around the world an inspiring environment for excellent interdisciplinary research.
PIK’s Research Department III – Transformation pathways – is offering a
Researcher position: Global energy transition modeling (m/f/d)
(Position number: 43-2023 Researcher global energy)
In the field of integrated assessment modelling of climate change starting on 01.01.2024.
The position is initially funded for two years for a postdoctoral researcher or for three years for a doctoral researcher. The recruitment is subject to the approval of the project. Extension dependent on external funding is envisaged. Remuneration is in accordance with the German public tariff scheme (TV-L Brandenburg), salary group E 13 (100 % for a postdoctoral and 75 % for a doctoral researcher). The full-time position has a weekly working time of 40 hours. The position can be filled on a part-time basis.
- Performing global energy transition scenario analysis with the integrated assessment model REMIND accounting for sector-specific transformation opportunities and challenges in energy supply, transport, buildings and industry
- Participation with the REMIND model in international research efforts to explore transformation pathways to net-zero energy systems in line with the Paris Climate Goals
- Collaboration with national and global modelling teams from around the world and participation in stakeholder dialogues
- Development and validation of the global REMIND model together with other researchers working with the REMIND model
- Analysis of sector transitions in the light of national and international climate policy efforts as well as technological progress in key mitigation technologies
- Master’s Degree or PhD in Physics, Engineering, Economics, Environmental Sciences, Mathematics, System Sciences or a related field
- Excellent analytical skills and interest in theoretical and applied modeling
- Programming experience
- For postdoctoral candidates: demonstrated experience in publishing and presenting scientific work
- Knowledge of R, Python and/or GAMS are assets
- Experience with energy systems analysis or integrated assessment modeling of climate change is an asset
- The ability to work independently and on your own initiative
- A methodical and systematic approach
- Structured and goal-oriented thinking
- Capacity to familiarise yourself quickly with new topics
- Creativity and openness to new approaches
- Reliability and a high level of motivation
- A high level of competence in oral and written English
- Willingness to travel for work (project meetings, workshops etc.)
- Capacity for teamwork and organizational talent
- The chance to be part of a creative, interdisciplinary team developing the internationally recognized model REMIND
- A unique environment to push the integrated assessment modeling of the energy transition in the context of broader sustainable development to a new frontier
- Opportunities for direct stakeholder engagement and high-level policy advice to use your research to make a difference
- A stimulating working environment in an internationally recognised research institute on Potsdam's beautiful, historic Telegrafenberg campus, a short commuting distance from Berlin
- Flexi-time and mobile working (up to 50 % of your hours)
- Opportunities for cooperation with PIK’s national and international network of leading climate & economic research institutes and think tanks
- A collective pay scheme and associated benefits as well as a subsidized travel card
PIK values equality and diversity. We encourage applications without photo. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of ethnic and social origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, care responsibilities, or age. PIK seeks to increase the share of women in scientific positions and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply. In cases of equal qualification and within the given legal scope, women will be given preference. PIK also encourages applications by parents returning from parental leave.
Please apply by 19.11.2023 directly using our application form clearly specifying the position you are applying for by providing the reference given above.The job posting will remain open until the position is filled.
Application documents should comprise a letter of motivation, CV, relevant certificates and transcripts, as well as an indication of references. Please upload only one pdf file. We expect the job interviews to happen in November 2023.
If you hold an international higher education qualification, please also submit the Statement of Comparability from the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) with your application. In the case that you do not yet have a ZAB Statement of Comparability for your qualification, please be aware that you may be asked to apply for one if your application is successful. You can find further information on this website: https://www.kmk.org/zab/central-office-for-foreign-education.html