Are you inspired by “what’s next”? So are we.
When you join the Albemarle team, you contribute to a better tomorrow. You will play a role in powering many of the world's largest and most critical industries, from energy and communications to transportation and electronics. We are putting innovation to work to improve people's lives and we want YOU to be a part of it.
Group Water Resource Engineer
About Albemarle Lithium
Albemarle is the industry leader in lithium and lithium derivatives. We maintain the strongest vertically integrated position in the industry, from our unique natural resource position to specialty product manufacturing. As stewards of the planet, we at Albemarle are committed to meeting the needs of our customers for high quality products in a sustainable, safe, and environmentally responsible manner.
Albemarle is looking for an experienced water resource engineer or hydrologist to join our Lithium Resources Group to manage current and future lithium resource projects.
The Group Water Resource Engineer will manage project, operational and corporate stakeholders with technical and permitting expertise to ensure the success of Albemarle’s global lithium business. The primary responsibilities of the role will include scoping and planning of environmental baseline characterization campaigns, development of technical risk and environmental impacts assessments, support of mine design options assessments, and the preparation of associated permit applications. Given the pace of growth and investment, the Group Water Resource Engineer will operate with skill and flexibility across various technical support and project responsibilities.
This position is part of the lithium resources organization reporting to the Mine Environmental & Approvals Manager. The position is based at our Kings Mountain office located near Charlotte, North Carolina. Periodic travel within the USA and internationally may be required.
- Manage the scoping, planning and execution of all environmental assessments related to mine development alternatives and associated impacts. This includes technical assessments related to pit/aquifer dewatering, water balance modeling, stream discharge assessments, surface water management, erosion modeling, tailings safety, climate change assessments, etc.
- Manage site characterization programs to ensure data collection and monitoring programs align with regulatory expectations and industry best practice.
- Manage the development of numerical water balance models to support assessment of 1) potential impacts from a variety of mine development alternatives, 2) water recycling and consumption reduction initiatives, 3) mitigation actions to minimize environmental and social impacts.
- Manage the preparation of applicable county, state, and federal regulatory permit applications (water resources focus). This includes short- and long-term permitting that will be required.
- Lead the establishment of a best-in-class safety culture for all field activities related to water resource investigations.
- Provide subject matter expert support for the internal and external (community) stakeholder engagement process to build an understanding of technical alternatives and impacts assessments related to mine design.
- Collaborate and provide subject matter expert knowledge within the larger lithium resources group to ensure mine development projects align with industry best practice for environmental management, water stewardship and sustainability. This includes design, construction, commissioning, and operational timeframes.
- Manage the preparation of budget estimates related to technical assessments, studies, and permitting.
- When required, support the development of internal policy and standards related to environmental management, water stewardship and sustainability.
- Provide subject matter expert support in the assessment of water stewardship and regulatory performance of our existing operations. Influence improvement initiatives to ensure best in class performance.
- Action oriented with the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and be self-directed
- Ability to think critically and strategically
- Ability to distill complexity and assess technical risk
- Strong project and technical acumen
- Strong problem solving and analysis skills
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Team player with the ability to proactively engage and collaborate.
- Ability to influence across different functions
Required Education and Experience