1 open position for a PhD student at the Chair of Petroleum Geology, Department of Applied Geosciences and Geophysics, Montanuniversitaet Leoben. The 3-year position is to be filled by 1.6.2021. Salary for 40 working hours per week will be € 2.971,50 (14 x per year; Gehaltsgr. B1 Uni-KV).
- Geological characterization of fine-grained barrier rocks for hydrogen storage. This study targets the evaluation of long-term hydrogen-induced effects on the structural and mechanical integrity of the geological reservoir
- Execution of high-pressure hydrogen-loading experiments and subsequent mechanical testing (macroscopic strength testing, nanoindentation) and porosimetry (e.g., µ-CT, BIB-SEM, NMR, gas sorption, X-ray scattering, mercury intrusion capillary porosimetry)
- Combination of the acquired mechanical and structural data in numerical prediction models for long-term stability
- Compilation of a PhD thesis on: Long-term influence of hydrogen storage on the integrity of geological reservoirs
This position forms part of a comprehensive research project on pore space characterization of sedimentary rocks for storage and natural barrier applications. A strong commitment to interdisciplinary and innovative experimental work characterizes the successful applicant.
- Practical experience with some of the abovementioned analytical techniques
- Related master's degree (e.g., Applied Geosciences, Materials Science, Physics)
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Profound knowledge in sedimentology (ideally in the context of hydrocarbon exploration, geothermal energy recovery, secondary storage)
- Practical experience with numerical modelling and machine learning techniques
- Good command of written and spoken German
- Ability to work in a team; strong ability and motivation to learn new and complex tasks; proactive and self-responsible working attitude; strong affinity to laboratory and modelling work; eagerness to write a leading-edge PhD thesis and to publish in high-ranked scientific journals
Application deadline: 21.4.2021
- Applications can only be considered if the required documents (CV, cover letter) have been submitted timely to the job portal at: https://www.unileoben.ac.at/jobs
- Please apply to Ref. No.: 2103WPY