- Contribute to shaping Australia's energy future
- Deliver science and solutions to enable Australia's transition to a net zero emissions energy future
- Set the strategy and vision for CSIRO's Energy Systems Research Program
The Energy Systems Program is one of the three Programs within CSIRO's Energy Business unit. The Program's vision is to provide the technology, analysis and insight that reduce the costs and accelerate reliable transition to towards net zero emissions.
As the Research Director, you will be responsible for leading a portfolio of multi-disciplinary, collaborative research projects that deliver on the goals of the Energy Business Unit, including setting the strategy and vision. You will use your domain expertise and collaborative and entrepreneurial way of working to foster and advance key relationships with government and research partners.
Your duties will include:
- Impact Science Leadership: lead strategic science to address national challenges, identify and engage in new research opportunities, pipeline growth and development, and catalyse innovation.
- Capability Leadership: communicate the Program's vision and impact; attract, develop and retain world-class talent; promote a safe and sustainable workplace; and build a high-performance culture.
- Functional Leadership: Contribute to strategic and operational planning for the Business Unit; proactively lead and support change initiatives across the Research Program and Business Unit; and develop and implement a project portfolio aligned with the Business Unit's strategic direction.
- Resource Leadership: lead and manage financials, resources, people infrastructure and other assets; ensure best practice governance and management of commercial activities and intellectual property.
- Engagement and Partnerships: develop deeper and more effective national partnerships; build strategic relationships within the organisation to execute CSIRO's strategy and Energy's strategy; develop and maintain national and international research collaborations and professional networks; and identify opportunities for future collaboration.
Location: Newcastle, NSW is preferred, other locations may be considered
Salary: Attractive salary package is negotiable
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- Proven ability to strategically develop programs and opportunities that respond to national and global research challenges, drawing from knowledge in:
- Energy systems and technologies
- Energy economics and markets
- Local and national energy policies and regulations
- Evidence of successful leadership in developing a project pipeline and a portfolio of science, research and innovation opportunities on a national and international scale as well as a track record of exemplary HSE and people leadership skills.
- Evidence of strong industry and/or government engagement and strategic relationship management that grows new impact opportunities and supports positive and sustainable commercial outcomes.
- The ability to work effectively as an integral member of the Energy Leadership Team and as a leader of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, and foster an environment in which there is a high level of co-operation within and between Programs, Groups and Teams.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
The successful applicant must be eligible to work in Australia for the duration of the contract (i.e. already has the required visa, is an Australian citizen or permanent resident) and will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
3rd January 2021, 11:00 pm AEST/AEDT, unless filled prior. We encourage early applications as CSIRO reserves the right to close the application period early if we find a suitable candidate.