- Contribute to shaping Australia's energy future
- Deliver technology solutions to enable Australia's transition to a net zero emissions energy future
- Set the strategy and vision for CSIRO's Energy Technology Research Program
We at CSIRO are pioneering low-emission technologies and provide the knowledge to guide Australia towards a smart, secure and sustainable energy future.
The Energy Technologies program is one of three Programs within CSIRO's Energy Business unit. The Energy Technologies Program's vision is to provide the technology, analysis and insight that reduces the costs and accelerates reliable transition to towards net zero emissions.
As the Research Director, Energy Technologies, you will be responsible for leading a portfolio of multi-disciplinary, collaborative research projects that deliver on the goals of the Energy Business Unit, including setting the strategy and vision. You will use your domain expertise and collaborative and entrepreneurial way of working to foster and advance key relationships with government and research partners.
Your duties will include:
- Impact Science Leadership: lead strategic science to address national challenges, identify and engage in new research opportunities, pipeline growth and development, and catalyse innovation.
- Capability Leadership: attract, develop and retain world-class talent; promote a safe and sustainable workplace; and build a high-performance culture.
- Functional Leadership: Contribute to strategic and operational planning for the Business Unit; proactively lead and support change initiatives across the Research Program and Business Unit; and develop and implement a project portfolio aligned with the Business Unit's strategic direction.
- Resource Leadership: lead and manage financials, resources, people infrastructure and other assets; ensure best practice governance and management of commercial activities and intellectual property; and ensure Program delivers against milestones and quality standards.
- Engagement and Partnerships: develop deeper and more effective national/international partnerships; build strategic relationships within the organisation to execute CSIRO's strategy and Energy's strategy; develop and maintain national and international research collaborations and professional networks; and identify opportunities for future collaboration.
Location: Newcastle, Melbourne or Brisbane preferred
Salary: Attractive salary package is negotiable
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- Demonstrated exemplary values and behaviours combined with personal commitment to Safety.
- Evidence of an ability to strategically develop programs and opportunities that respond to national and global research challenges, drawing from knowledge in:
- Low emission energy technologies, solutions and value chains
- Energy economics, markets and stakeholder networks
- Local and national energy policies and regulations
- Evidence of successful leadership in developing a project pipeline and a portfolio of science, research and innovation opportunities on a national and international scale. The ability to develop and deliver a portfolio of research, including financial and risk management; and growing, reshaping and revitalising a capability area.
- Evidence of strong industry/government engagement and strategic relationship management that grows new impact opportunities and supports sustainable commercial outcomes, e.g. in the development, scale up and commercialisation of technologies in the low emissions energy, industry, and transport sector.
- The ability to work effectively as an integral member of the Energy Leadership Team and as a leader of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, and foster an environment in which there is a high level of co-operation within and between Programs, Groups and Teams.
- Demonstrated ability to establish productive teams, manage performance, undertake strategic planning and financial management, drive and implement change, operationalise the strategic vision for staff, and gain commitment to the direction chosen.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
15th June 2021, 11:00 pm AEST, unless filled prior. We encourage early applications as CSIRO reserves the right to close the application period early if we find a suitable candidate.