The Center for Advanced Studies in Arid Zones (CEAZA), located in La Serena
and Coquimbo - Chile is a scientific consortium, established in 2003, which is
dedicated to studying the impact of climatic and oceanographic variability on the
hydrological cycle and biological productivity in the arid zones of Northern-Central
The CEAZA is searching for a full-time RESEARCHER in HYDROGEOLOGY.
The successful candidate will undertake research on the hydrogeology of semiarid
Northern-Central Chile, which may include, but is not limited to: aquifer
characterization; recharge estimation; regional groundwater flow; groundwater-
surface water interaction; groundwater resources assessment; managed aquifer
She/He will work in close collaboration with CEAZA researchers, including in
Glaciology, Climatology, Meteorology and Paleoclimatology, but may also develop
innovative research projects with biologists and resource planning scientists. The
successful candidate will participate in ongoing research projects, but will also be
expected to develop and lead new projects and secure their funding. She/He will
communicate her/his research to the wider community, especially local decision-
makers, through their participation in workshops, seminars and other outreach
activities. Finally, the researcher is able to collaborate in or coordinate courses (or
thesis guidance) at post-graduate level.
Minimal qualifications and experience:
- Ph.D. in subjects related to hydrogeology.
- Experience in research, demonstrated by a track record of publications in relevant journals.
- Experience in research, demonstrated by participation and/or leadership in research projects (equivalent to Chilean ANID programs).
- Ability to use and develop physically-based groundwater models.
- Experience in field hydrology.
- Ability to manage groups and work with researchers from other disciplines.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Have a basic level of Spanish (communicative skills).
- Desirable: Experience in using hydrochemistry methods.
- Desirable: Experience in arid zone hydrology research.
- Desirable: Experience in remote sensing data processing.
- Desirable: Understanding of water resources issues in the context of climate variability and land use/land cover change.
- Desirable: Experience in communicating research outputs to stakeholders (e.g.: water resource managers, local governments, general public).
- The position is available from May 1st, 2023 (or afterwards upon agreement).
- The position is permanent, subject to positive annual academic evaluation.
- The position is based at CEAZA’s La Serena facilities.
- The application can be submitted in English or Spanish, and should contain:
- A research statement describing experience, motivation for this position and research proposal to undertake in CEAZA.
- A Curriculum Vitae.
- Certificates and other relevant documents that confirm University qualifications and/or other relevant information.
- Two reference letters highlighting the trajectory of the candidate.
These must be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The successful applicant will work as part of Geosciences group at CEAZA. More
information about CEAZA and ongoing projects can be found at http://www.ceaza.cl.
Do not hesitate to contact Dra. Katerina Goubanova (email@example.com)
for any additional details.
Applications should be sent to Dr. Carlos Olavarria, CEAZA Executive Director
(firstname.lastname@example.org) before April 1st, 2023.
- CEAZA reserves the right to select the applicants that it deems most suitable or not select any of the candidates.
- Applicants who join this selection process agree to undertake all evaluation instruments that are deemed appropriate to verify their competencies and experience, including interviews and psychological tests.
- CEAZA will notify in writing the result of their application to all candidates, including the successful candidate, who must confirm in writing their acceptance of the offer of the position.
- CEAZA will follow the Chilean national policy of equal opportunities regardless of gender in science and technology. We support also Chilean policy on advanced
- qualifications of human resources, encouraging, thus, early careers researchers applying for this position.
Full information about application http://www.ceaza.cl/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/Profile_Hydrologist_2023.pdf